The purpose of this video was to test the user experience of RDP when connecting to Windows 7 VMs provided by Microsoft's "in box" VDI solution over a variety of user environments, including:
- 100mbps LAN connection (5:20)
- A "global" WAN scenario, with 768kbps, variable latency between 250-350ms, and 1% packet loss (9:24)
- The "global" WAN scenario again, this time using the Satellite client hint (21:33)
- A "cross country" WAN scenario, with 1.5mbps, 75-150ms latency, and 0.5% packet loss (30:52)
- A "metro" WAN scenario, with 5.0mbps, 30-40ms latency, and 0.5% packet loss (36:32)
Note about packet loss: Throughout the video, we variably referred to the "global" and the "cross country" scenarios as having either 1% or 0.5% packet loss. I can assure you that regardless of what we said on camera, the on-screen text (which matches the specifications above) is accurate. Only the "global" scenario had 1% packet loss. The others were set to 0.5%.
These videos are delivered via RTSP streaming, which means you can click and drag the playhead to any point in the video. The mm:ss times listed above correspond to the beginning of that section.
For a full analysis of the results of this video, read our summary of how Microsoft's "in box" VDI solution did in our Geek Week: VDI project. This video is part of our "Geek Week: VDI" project where Gabe and Brian tested five VDI products in five days. More information about this project, as well as videos from this vendor and others, is available at www.brianmadden.com/geekweek.