At Citrix Synergy last month, Gabe and I gave a joint session titled "15 Reasons Desktop Virtualization Fails." We had a good crowd in the session with us, but fortunately Citrix recorded the session and has posted the full 50-minute video over at Citrix TV:
Gabe and I had a lot of fun with this session (especially trying to limit our reasons desktop virtualization fails to just 15! :) Our idea was that sharing the reasons that real-world projects failed would help you avoid these problems in you own environment.
Our reasons, in random order, for those who don't have time to watch the video:
- Thinking desktop is like server
- Moving bad habits into the new environment
- Not understanding Microsoft licensing
- Poor performance
- Believing the cost models (remember this?)
- Not knowing why?
- Underestimating network requirements
- Underestimating server hardware
- Underestimating storage
- Assuming layering works today
- Infighting and control
- Not respecting users' uniqueness
- Buying for the future
- Doing it because it's sexy
- Assuming desktop virtualization is more secure
The companion slide set is available as a PDF (4.4mb).