We were pretty excited when Horizon Mobile was announced at VMworld this August, but soon enough some confusion about how it actually works came up. On top of that, lately I’ve received several emails from vendors about BYOD/corporate-personal separation/whatever mobile device management solutions.
Among this confusion are various competing claims about security and separation, so I decided to sort through it all in a BYOD mobile device management comparison. I’m not sure yet what the end result of this will be...maybe a big matrix or something? Or a series of articles? I’ll be talking to vendors and gathering data over the next several weeks.
Plain old corporate mobile device management has been around for a while, so I’ll be passing over that to look at this newer crop of “split personality” products. This is where I need your help. What solutions and vendors should I look at? Obviously the important part will be digging into the nuts and bolts of how the various technologies actually work, but what other questions should I be asking? I’m interested to see where this goes and what information I can distill. (By the way, what do we even call this? BYOD-MDM? Mobile Personality Management?)
This is what I have in mind so far (and like I said, I’m sure there’s a lot then needs to be added to both of these lists):
- VMware Horizon Mobile
- Red Bend
- Enterproid Divide
- Good Technologies
- MaaS 360
- OK Labs
- What platforms does it support?
- What is the method of corporate/personal separation (type 1 hypervisor, type 2, just profiles)?
- Does it have remote wipe capabilities? encryption? And is it for the whole device or only the corporate side?
- Can personal and corporate voice and data plans be separated? Or who pays for it?
- Is the solution true BYOD? Like, can the employee bring whatever they want, or is it that the enterprises provides a D which has two personalities?
Thanks in advance for your comments, questions, and suggestions!