CIO Magazine just published the results of a reader survey they conducted about virtualization in the enterprise in 2008.
A few highlights:
- 92% of respondants are using virtualization somewhere in their companies.
- 42% believe that the political / organizational challenges are harder than the technical challenges of virtualization.
- 77% build a small, "quick win" project to prove the value of virtualization.
- 73% prefer to build-out their virtualization systems in-house, without using external consultants.
One of the questions that really surprised me was about desktop virtualization. When asked about desktop virtualization:
- Currently using virtual desktops: 25%
- Will deploy within one year: 13%
- Will deploy within one to three years: 21%
- Will deploy within three to five years: 5%
- No plans to use virtualized desktops: 37%
The 25% that is currently using virtual desktop really surprised me, although with Citrix "redefining" Presentation Server as a desktop virtualization solution, who knows how respondants interpreted that question?
The bottom line, though, is that people who have deployed virtualization solutions internally are happy about it. 85% said they were "satisfied" or "very satisfied," and only 2% claimed that they were not satisfied.
Read the entire results over at CIO.com.