I'm happy to announce that I've just implemented a feature on BrianMadden.com that a lot of people have been asking for: The comments at the bottom of articles are now fully integrated with the forum system. Now you can use your Forum username and password to add comments to articles.
- You'll get full “credit” for your postings. They'll count towards your totals, ranking, etc.
- You'll be able to click on other users' profiles and see what they've written--both in the forums and on comments.
- We'll have more security, in that people won't be able to "fake" names.
- Articles now support fully threaded conversations, which means you can respond to specific comments instead of having to just tack your comments on the bottom.
- And, finally, article comments will support full formatting. (i.e. If you write with line breaks, they'll stick!) You can also add formatting like bullets, links, smileys, etc.
Best of all, you can still post anonymously as a guest, and the comments are still posted from the end of articles, so it's easy to use.
The only downside is that since all the old comments of the past nine months (1318 total) were not posted with user accounts I had to import them all as "guest" posts. I did add in the name of the original poster to each comment's body, but we have to remember that there was no security back then, so we don't really know if the names are real.
When you post a comment (or to the forum), it displays your login name. If you do not have an account yet, be sure to pick a login name that you want people to see. Spaces are allowed. So I would recommend a login name like "Brian Madden" instead of "bmadd142912" or whatever.
For those of you who already have accounts, I can change your login name if you want. Just email me.
Over the next few months, your "BrianMadden.com" ID will be used for everything on the site: Email lists, event registration, student lists, downloads, etc. It should be cool.