When I got back from the opening night party, I found an email from Carl Stalhood. He told me that the Technology Preview of the next version of Citrix MetaFrame Presentation Server was available for download from the "MyCitrix" portal. Sure enough, it was.
I read through the getting started guide and put together this list of new features:
- Centrally managed licenses across farms.
- Share licenses across farms.
- MMC-based management console.
- Manage sessions, applications, servers, and zones from multiple farms via a single tool.
- Major rearchitecture of zone data collector behavior that allows farms to be more scalable. Data collectors only track load usage for servers in their zone--not the entire farm. Servers can be configured so that users are sent to the least-loaded server in the zone or in the farm.
- Set preferred zones for users.
- Zone-to-zone failover.
- Citrix user policies can now be applied based on server groups, IP addresses, and client names--in addition to users and groups.
- Real delegated administration that allows you to configure different administrators for different servers in the same farm.
- Client side microphone input and bi-directional audio.
- SpeedScreen now accelerates Flash, Quicktime, and Windows Media.
- SpeedScreen lossy image compression.
- All the random logon windows and boxes have been consolidated into a single status box that provides consistent feedback to the user.
- Dynamic Session Reconfiguration allows users to disconnect and connect to session that are different resolutions and colors..
- Hide published applications.
- Web Interface supports both ICA and RDP clients.