Now that Softricity has been acquired by Microsoft and its price has been decreased so much, interest for SoftGrid is rapidly growing. Most enterprises have invested in MSI-based application packaging, and converting these packages into SoftGrid sequences can be laborious. To address this, Dennis Damen and Rodney Medina have created the SoftGrid Migration tool (SMGT). The SoftGrid Migration Tool is an add-on for the native SoftGrid Sequencer that helps you quickly “convert” existing automated application setups to SoftGrid Virtualized Applications (a.k.a. "streams" or "sequences") with the least possible amount of user intervention. This tool can be a huge benefit if you're planning to integrate SoftGrid with an existing software distribution sytem like SMS or Altiris. (If you want to virtualize applications that only have a manual setup, we still recommend using the native SoftGrid Sequencer.)
When using the SoftGrid Migration Tool for converting applications the SoftGrid sequencing, best practices still apply. (Check out Microsoft KB article 932137 for a list of sequencing best practices.)
The SoftGrid Migration Tool was written in Visual Basic 2005 and requires the .NET Framework 2.0 or higher in order to work. It's very easy to use:
- From the zip file, copy the SGMT.exe, defaults.ini, and SettingsChanged.exe to the sequencer machine and start the SGMT executable.
- Add the automated application setup(s) that needs to be converted to one virtual application.
- Enter the appropriate SoftGrid Sequencing settings.
- Click Start.
- When done, copy the content of the entered output path to the SoftGrid Server’s content folder.
- Import/Add the application to the SoftGrid Management Console.
- Always test the application afterwards!
The tool is 100% freeware and available from Login Consultants download section (free registration required).