A little over 24 hours ago, I became a full-time Windows Phone 8 user. I have a 16GB HTC 8X, and it's activated on my primary cell plan, so I'm committed (and forced) to using it. I'm a little bit surprised, but so far I like it a lot.
We don't usually do hardware reviews, since I tweeted about it there were a few conversations going, and more things to say than can fit in a tweet.
- Living in the TileWorld on home screen is really pleasant. Most of my tiles are the smallest size, so I can see a lot of tools and apps at once.
- You can pin contacts to the home screen. I put my frequently used ones a little below the main screen, so I just have to scroll down a bit and there they are.
- Evernote so far is decent. I'll have to see how well Google Docs on the browser works. I don't usually use that on my phone, but it's where I do all of my writing.
- The clean, minimalist Windows 8 design is growing on me.
- Everything is fast and smooth, no hanging (yet).
- 4G is awesome (My last phone was an iPhone 4S, so this is my first time living with a 4G phone.)
- I like the way the email client works.
- Google maps in the browser is super fast and smooth.
- No rotation lock.
- No group SMS (seriously). (UPDATE: More info on this)
- It doesn't want to connect to the TechTarget office wifi.
- The back button is in an awkward place.
- Sometimes the Windows 8 UI seems like a waste of space.
- The ringtones all sound the same, and there's no per-contact ringtone option. (UPDATE Jan 14: Found it!)
- Limited calendar views. (For more on calendars, check out this article from David Pogue.)
- Takes a long time to boot.
- Some of the menus and settings aren't as well-organized as they could be, but that's okay for now since overall there just aren't many settings that can be changed!
- No iTunes (I'm pretty entrenched... so it's back to carrying around an iPod and a phone).
- Most of the third-party apps seem to be crap...
- Finally, it's not an iPhone... (Want to know the real reason why it's my full-time phone? I lost my iPhone while on vacation, and spent the last couple of weeks on a temporary BlackBerry Bold.)
It's only been about 26 hours as of this writing, so my opinions will surely evolve. Tips? Tricks? Favorite apps? Comments and questions? Let me know!