BACKGROUND IMAGE: stock.adobe.com
This is our weekly log of desktop virtualization, enterprise mobility, and end user computing news.
Our blog posts
Kyle and Jack: Microsoft Ignite 2019 news: Intune + SCCM = Endpoint Manager; WVD on Azure Stack Hub; & more. Now with Monday updates, including App Assure for WVD and Edge; IGEL support for WVD; and co-management as a destination.
Jack and Kyle: VMworld 2019 Europe brings plenty more EUC updates. Including integration with Microsoft Endpoint Management; more Workspace ONE Intelligence integration options; a focus on zero trust; and more.
Jack, at Everything EUC: New Apple MDM terms iOS admins should know. Apple introduced a new BYOD-friendly management mode for iOS and macOS and renamed the existing Apple MDM modes. Get up to speed with the three new terms.
Kyle: Microsoft Ignite 2019 security takeaways: Roadmap, MFA, Secure Score, and more. Microsoft dropped an incredible amount of news, so I’m taking a look at some of the security news that interested me.
We covered the main Microsoft Ignite and VMworld Europe news in the articles listed above, but of course there was a fire hose of information this week. Here are more stories and announcements that we noted, starting with Ignite:
- Here’s more on Intune’s new reporting features.
- Microsoft announced that Edge on Chromium will be generally available January 15, 2020. They also revealed that the Release Candidate for Edge on Chromium was available this week for Windows and macOS. Microsoft also has a brand-new logo for this version of Edge, too. As Kyle wrote, there are a lot of good reasons to consider this in the enterprise.
- Microsoft is now supporting iOS User Enrollment. Microsoft is also showing a lot of enthusiasm about Android Enterprise.
- Azure ARC is slightly out of our day-to-day coverage, but you can read about it in this post from Marius Sadbu.
- Yubico announced YubiKey Bio at Ignite, combining biometrics with their security key. There’s no set release date yet for this latest version of the YubiKey or mention of pricing. The YubiKey Bio helps add another MFA option to desktop devices that may lack fingerprint or face recognition hardware. This news is just a couple weeks removed from the announcement of Yubico Login for Windows, which works with Windows Hello.
- We’ve always known Cameyo as a GCP and G Suite-oriented DaaS provider, but this week they announced support for Azure.
- Citrix talks about their integration with Microsoft Endpoint Manager. (Remember, Citrix Endpoint Management has had Intune integrations for years.) This integration also covers Citrix’s micro VPN. And, Citrix Analytics has been integrated with Azure Sentinel.
And here’s more from VMworld:
- Appdome (which makes tech for automatically integrating mobile SDKs) and VMware announced Appdome for Workspace ONE.
- Video: VMware demos their iOS 13 User Enrollment support.
- Liquidware released Stratusphere UX 6.1.4.
Under the new App Defense Alliance, Google Play Protect will now also include analysis from mobile threat defense vendors ESET, Lookout, and Zimperium. Google has been scanning apps for malware for years, but now under this partnership, these vendors will “act as another, vital set of eyes” before apps get published. Over the years, we’ve heard reports that third-parties were finding malware that Google missed, so this program obviously addresses that issue. For some more context, look back at our series of articles on real world data from MTD vendors, as well as the Android Security and Privacy report.
Citrix is going to make a bot to add their workflow app functionality into Microsoft Teams. The bot will be able to aggregate access from multiple on-prem and SaaS apps. Here’s the question: Will users spend their day in Teams, or Citrix Workspace? What happens when every product has aggregation capabilities? What are the implications of one workspace aggregator being above or below another? Bottom line, there are a lot of different ways to build an EUC experience.
Here’s what’s new in Citrix Managed Desktop. This includes a new bundle with IGEL, sold by Ingram Micro.
Other reads, news, and notes
Mark your calendars: IGEL Disrupt will be in Nashville, January 27-29, 2020, and Munich, February 4-6.
Next week, I (Jack) will be at the Jamf Nation User Conference in Minneapolis, Minnesota.