This is our weekly log of desktop virtualization, enterprise mobility, and end user computing news. It was a quiet week due to the Memorial Day holiday here in the US, but next week will be a big one: Apple’s 2018 Worldwide Developer Conference is happening in San Jose, and you can live stream most of the sessions.
Our blog posts
Jack: Apple’s iOS MDM protocol needs to get better for BYOD. Will iOS 12 finally fix it? Apple has fallen behind Android when it comes to MDM for BYOD. Will Apple finally remedy that?
Kyle: Alexa for Business management coming to Citrix within 90 days. Citrix integrating existing Amazon APIs with XenMobile to provide Alexa for Business management.
Kyle: GeekOut 365 video: Optimizing your Citrix VDI display protocol choice for UX & resource usage. TeamRGE helps you select the most appropriate Citrix display protocols to ensure lower resource consumption and a good user experience.
The VDI Like a Pro survey results are live. We already wrote a preview post covering what the results have to say about VDI/SBC/DaaS market share, and we have more planned. Again, thank you to everybody who participated, and thank you to Ruben and Mark for putting this together!
More blog posts and announcements that crossed our desks this week:
- I’m Not (Overly) Concerned About Smart Speaker Security, And You Shouldn’t Be Either, by Daniel Miessler. This is a refreshing look at the threat model for consumer-owned smart speakers. We still don’t think companies are going to do anything sensitive with these things any time soon, though.
- How about using a camera and facial recognition to do continuous biometric authentication in a conference room? Christian Reilly and James Bulpin talked about this at Synergy, and blogged about it recently. It’s interesting to learn about new ways to do authentication (we’ve been thinking about this a lot with regards to ambient digital assistants), and cool that they were able to build a demo.
- For the latest on Citrix releases, see What’s new in Citrix Workspace for May; and this blog post on XenServer 7.5.
- And here’s what’s new in VMware Horizon. Many recently announced features are now GA.
- VMware Q1 revenue is up 14% year-over-year. We’ll take a glance through the transcript once it’s posted to check for EUC news.