Citrix announced today (with 6 press releases no less!) that they've launched version 4.0 of the Citrix Access Suite. As rumored on here last week, the word "MetaFrame" has been removed from the suite name and all of the products' names. The suite has shrunk from four to three products, with the v4.0 suite including:
- Citrix Presentation Server 4.0 (Conferencing Manager is now built-in to Presentation Server)
- Citrix Access Gateway 4.0 (What was MSAM is now built in to this product too)
- Citrix Password Manager 4.0
In general is looks like Citrix has really simplified everything while adding "real" integration in the products across the suite.
Citrix Presentation Server 4.0
I've written quite a bit about Presentation Server 4 (PS4) in the past. PS4 will include several new features, such as:
- A new EMF-based printing system.
- Virtual memory management technology from RTO Software and CPU management technology licensed from Aurema.
- A brand-new Secure Gateway that will support Session Reliability and an XML Service-based STA Service.
- A completely rewritten Web Interface that will be a "real" product, with GUI-based management and simple customization and configuration.
- ICA Clients version 9
- Application Isolation Environments (AIE) which will allow redirection of file system and registry areas on an application-by-application basis.
- All Conferencing Manager features.
- Full policy-based integration with the SmartAccess capabilities of the Citrix Access Gateway 4.0.
- License sharing between UNIX and Windows editions of Presentation Server (MetaFrame for UNIX has also been updated to PS4)
In case it's not obvious from reading this list, PS4 is a really big deal. So far takeup has been slow on PS3, mainly because its biggest new features (cross-farm licensing, more flexible inter-zone communication options, real delegated administration) were only useful in very large environments. Most felt that PS3 didn't give them enough reason to upgrade over MetaFrame XP.
I think this is not the case with PS4, since it has features that will be valuable for organizations of all sizes. I would imagine that PS4 will be very popular very quickly.
Citrix Access Gateway 4.0
As predicted, the product formerly known as MetaFrame Secure Access Manager (MSAM) is now built-in to the Secure Access Gateway. (At least partially anyway.) For $100 per user you get "standard" user access via the $2500 Access Gateway appliance. For $150 per user you get "Advanced Access Control" with full SmartAccess technology and integration with Presentation Server and Password Manager.
Password Manager 4.0
Password Manager is basically the same, although it's been more smoothly integrated with the other two products in the suite. One cool new feature is a "hot desktop" capability that's designed for situations where a lot of people share the same public client device. PM4 will cost $90 per named user or $180 per concurrent user.
So when do we get this stuff?
Citrix is saying that all three products will be available in the second quarter which ends June 30, 2005. Like with previous versions, one year of Subscription Advantage is included in all of Citrix's products.