This is a video of a breakout session from BriForum 2008, presented by Michael Thomason.
Session Description: Business requirements for storage are increasing daily. Gigabytes are feeling more and more like megabytes. How do you manage this large-scale volume of data? In this section attendees will learn how to create an “unlimited” storage environment. Attendees will learn:
- Basic principles for storage pools
- Migrate files to offline storage seamlessly to the end-user.
- NTFS/OS best practices/configurations.
- Scale Microsoft DFS to create virtual file system.
- How to prevent users from storing certain document types on a file share.
- Present your organization with a virtual view of your data.
- Create a consolidated UNC across multiple servers. For example: \\unc\%username%, Joe might be on ASIA_FILESERVER01, and Bill on USA_FILESERVER02 but your scripts easily reference \\UNC\%username%.
Knowledge Required: Previous knowledge managing Microsoft Windows file servers is required.