This is a video of a breakout session from BriForum Europe 2007, presented by Michael Thomason.
Session Description: Terminal servers consist of hundreds of system configurations, tweaks, and numerous “applications” which come together once installed as a unified solution. In any large terminal server environment there are always numerous “server personalities” from Microsoft Office servers to vertical application servers each with their own respective configuration and requirements.
“Automating Server Builds & Configurations”, attendees would learn how to:
- Stream an OS using Ardence.
- How to automate disk layout and partitioning based on the type of configuration required.
- Automatically provision and install all necessary applications on a server once OS is installed.
- How to automate installs fo
- Design a single OS image which would work on all hardware platforms.
- How to automate installs for Microsoft TS and/or Citrix including all hotfixes.
- How to create a hotfix rollup utility.
- Automating ‘domain membership’ which would join machine to domain and place server in proper OU.
- How to “automate” difficult tasks such as network card duplex settings.
- Programmatically verify server is correctly built.
- Automatically publish applications once server build process is complete.
- How to create an enterprise automated server reboot process. Several VBS and tools will be provided which will:
- Demonstrate how to perform bulk operations such as file copies, registry changes, application installs, etc. simultaneously on a list of targeted servers.