VMware just announced availability of a PC-over-IP-based View client for the Apple iPad. It's just now become available in the Apple App Store, so I'll be downloading it this week to try out. In the meantime, I was able to sit down with VMware's director of end-user computing clients Pat Lee to get an overview of the client:
Also check out some screenshots that VMware posted to Flickr.
Highlights of the VMware View client for iPad include:
- Available now, for free
- This is View client. It's not the Horizon client that VMware showed at VMworld
- iPad-only, no iPhone/iPod Touch support
- PCoIP only, no RDP support. (Although you can still use Wyse PocketCloud if you want RDP from an iPad to a View environment.)
- PCoIP works well, even for YouTube, etc.
- Does not support multitasking, so you have to reconnect if you switch to a different app
- Supports the new View 4.6 Security Server
- Supports two-factor authentication
- Supports the iPad 1 and is expected to support the iPad 2 without problems
- In the future, VMware will think about View clients for Android, but their belief is the tablet is the proper interface so that's where they'll focus.
Bridget Botelho wrote a story about the View client for the iPad over on SearchVirtualDesktop.com, so check it out for more information.
[UPDATE: Here's a link to the admin guide and release notes for the View client for iPad.]