There’s a lot going on in the EUC space right now! One of the most-asked things I got at VMworld last week was some version of “What do you think of [Citrix | Microsoft | VMware] right now?” So I figured I’d make a quick bullet list for each company of what they’ve got going on that’s good and bad.
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
Note that this is only in the context of EUC and desktop virtualization.
- Biggest market share
- Huge install base
- Most mature products
- Still very much synonymous with “desktop virtualization"
- Best / most features
- They say “on premises"
- Best protocol (yeah, I said it)
- They’re not trying to make their own cloud / not competing with partners
- Citrix Workspace Cloud
- Citrix Workspace Cloud (seriously, nice work there)
- No CEO
- Talent flight
- Partners are pissed
- XenApp 7 debacle
- Product quality issues
- Octoblu (cool, but too much focus?)
- Competing with Microsoft on too many things (XenServer/Hyper-V, XenMobile/InTune, ShareFile/OneDrive)
- First class integration only with other Citrix (non-leading) products
- Lack of momentum. Tired.
- AppDisk (seriously, just buy FSLogix already)
- They own Windows
- They own Windows
- Office 365
- SCCM (They did a good job convincing the world they need this. Huge install base now.)
- Windows 10 (Everyone will go to it, easy to manage, it’s a joy to use)
- Most people hate them.
- Ok, “most” is probably too strong.
- Ok ok, “hate” is also probably too strong.
- No desktop SPLA
- Still screwing customers with their monopolistic actions
- People buy them because they have to, and that’s never a good thing
- They’re saying all the right things
- Momentum, buzz, etc.
- Project A² (They can manage local apps on physical desktops)
- Shawn Bass
- They own the infrastructure & platform in many (most?) companies
- Synonymous with “Virtualization” and “VDI”
- Everything they’re doing with micro VPNs and NSX is just awesome
- Windows 10 hug from Microsoft
- Horizon 6 still has a long way to go
- They’re owned by an old school storage company
- On premise? Seriously?
- vCloud Air? They’re competing with AWS and all these other massive cloud providers? They’re competing with their own customers??