The last few days of the year are always slow, so today we’re going to share some lists that Gabe and I put together while writing our year-end posts.
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
Our most viewed articles
Last week I took a look at all of our 2017 posts in Google Analytics. Since we have a long history of covering Citrix, we always get a lot of traffic around their big news events. Here are the top articles:
- Citrix lays off hundreds of people worldwide. (This was our top article overall.)
- Kirill Tatarinov out as Citrix CEO, CFO David Henshall takes over as CEO. Here's our full analysis.
- Summing up the changes at Citrix in the wake of last week's layoffs.
- Citrix makes you an offer you can’t refuse: Virtualization for $12/user/month (By Jo Harder.)
- Citrix's acquisition of Unidesk looks to be a great move. Our full analysis.
Here are the other top desktop virtualization stories:
- Windows Containers for Geeks! (By Mike Nelson.)
- Ivanti scoops up RES Software: Here's our full analysis.
- VMware's 2017 "Synergy Thunder Stealer" is a big one: Horizon Cloud desktops and apps from Azure.
- Why hasn't Bromium taken over enterprise antivirus and antimalware yet?
- Microsoft *FINALLY* creates a cloud service provider virtualization license for Windows 10
- A quick rundown of VMware's Horizon, Skype for Business, and Horizon Cloud announcements today.
And here are the top enterprise mobility stories:
- Apple WWDC 2017: Here are the enterprise management updates for iOS 11
- What is VMware Workspace ONE, really?.
- How Windows 10 co-management works with SCCM and Intune/MDM, and how third parties can use it, too.
- Microsoft announced Intune for Education. Here’s our analysis.
- What keeps Okta, Dropbox, MobileIron and others awake at night? Microsoft, and for good reason.
- What does the Microsoft Graph API for Intune mean for the rest of the EMM market?
Gabe already wrote about the acquisitions of Unidesk, LANDESK, RES, Simplivity, Nimble Storage, and VERDE. Here are the EMM acquisitions from 2017:
- Apperian was acquired by Arxan.
- Skycure was acquired by Symantec.
- Apteligent was acquired by VMware.
- Hypori was acquired by Intelligent Waves.
- Skyhigh Networks is being acquired by McAfee.
Several companies, products, and leaders left the EUC space, parted ways, and transitioned to new ownership:
- Symantec Workspace Virtualization Streaming has reached end of life
- Kirill Tataranov was replaced by David Henshall at Citrix
- Atlantis sold off assets to Hive-IO.
- Barry Mainz was replaced by Simon Biddiscombe at MobileIron
- Octoblu was shut down and open-sourced.
- vCloud Air was sold to OVH Group
- McAfee spun out of intel
- Tanium and VMware ended the partnership that had created VMware TrustPoint.
It was not a good year for alternative mobile operating systems:
- Windows Phones are pretty much dead.
- Cyanogen, makers of CyanogenMod, the community-based alternative Android build, both shut down at the very end of 2016. (More at TechCrunch and XDA Developers.)
- Firefox OS was scuttled, though technically the phones came to an end in 2016.
- Unity8, the Ubuntu Linux shell for phones, was dropped.
New companies and contributors
On a happier note, we wrote about several vendors for the first time this year:
- Cog Systems
We also featured articles from freelance and community contributors:
- Mike Nelson
- Peter Daalmans
- Jo Harder
- Theresa Miller
- Anton van Pelt
- Gunnar Berger
- Aaron Parker
- Rachel Berry
- Benny Tritsch
- Jason Bayton
- Melanie Seekins
Thanks to these and the many others at TechTarget, in the community, and in the industry who helped make 2017 another successful year, and see you in 2018!