Sick of it - how much does Citrix cost?, in the Citrix XenApp / Presentation Server forum on BrianMadden.com
Brian Madden Logo
Your independent source for desktop virtualization, consumerization, and enterprise mobility management.

Sick of it - how much does Citrix cost?, in the Citrix XenApp / Presentation Server forum on BrianMadden.com

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Guest posted on Mon, Aug 7 2006 8:29 AM
Hi,

I've got two Windows 2003 Enterprise Server here which act as a Terminal Server farm. A third machine in the DMZ should as a Gateway for secure access (HTTPS/SSL). Our customers access the applications on these WTS machines via VPN or HTTPS.

Currently I'm using a Non-Citrix product whose name I will not say - but generally speaking, it does the same like citrix: Application publishing (seamless), remote printing and so on. And it was cheaper than Citrix. That was the reason we've bought. A decision I regret since 1 1/2 years now.

Since we've bought this product I only got trouble with it - from printing to dysfunctional "Linux-Clients", a broken Java Client, broken updates etc. and so on.

This weekend, I installed the new Upgrade for this software and again - the same old problems. It's not running stable at all.

So now I'm really sick of it trying to get around all those problems this product has. I'm currently thinking about switching to Citrix. But I don't know anything about their prices - I asked a reseller here, but I'm still waiting for an answer.

Here's what I need:
- Presentation Server, will be installed on two Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition servers with enabled Terminalservices
- Concurrent Users: Max. 30 (both machines together)
- I need something that lets our customers access these two servers via HTTPS (TCP 443). Important: It must be possible to use a web proxy on the customers side (mandatory). Do I need the "Access suite" or something like this?

I just need an idea on how much $ it'll cost. 1000? 15000? 10000?

I'm so sick of it all ...
  • | Post Points: 5

All Replies

Guest replied on Mon, Aug 7 2006 1:16 PM
Hello, there.

Citrix comes with 3 classes (Standard, Advanced, Enterprise)
A Citrix CAL is about $US 400 for Enterprise Edition. With 30 users, you are looking at $ 12,000 for Citrix licensing alone.
Citrix Presentation Server comes with Citrix Secure Gateway, Web Interface those components allow you to set up things in a DMZ and a web front access via port 443

I guess you already the license costs for MS Enteprise Servers, TS CALs.

It depends on what your user requirements are to deploy a solution (Citrix or non-Citrix)
Have you looked at AEP Networks and the likes?

Good luck.
Guest replied on Mon, Aug 7 2006 3:22 PM

Hi,

Hello, there.
Citrix comes with 3 classes (Standard, Advanced, Enterprise)
A Citrix CAL is about $US 400 for Enterprise Edition. With 30 users, you are looking at $ 12,000 for Citrix licensing alone.
Citrix Presentation Server comes with Citrix Secure Gateway, Web Interface those components allow you to set up things in a DMZ and a web front access via port 443

Thanks for your answer. I had that fear that it would be expensive. You see, we're a really small company (5 people) and 12.000 bucks are a lot for us. But I know - I'm a developer myself and I know that good software is worth its price. So I don't say "that's way too expensive". I know about the strengths of Citrix, as most of our bigger customers have large terminal server farms running with it. Another question: How much may RSA SecurID tokens cost for our 30 users?

One further question: Is it a problem to run a Citrix Presentation Server on an AD domain controller? I'm aware of the possible problems regarding GPOs, but I managed to get around them in my environment (mostly). A strict separation of Domain Controller vs. Applications Servers is way too expensive for us.

I guess you already the license costs for MS Enteprise Servers, TS CALs.
It depends on what your user requirements are to deploy a solution (Citrix or non-Citrix)
Have you looked at AEP Networks and the likes?

No, I didn't hear from them before. I looked around many times to find a nearly-Citrix solution, I found Jetro, Provision Framework, 2X and so on. What's important for me: Client-OS Independence, Remote Printing and a comfortable way to publish applications on base of AD OUs with a price at at least half of Citrix. I didn't find something like this.

I've also installed a demo machine (for our customers) with SSLexplorer, a really neat SSL-Browser-VPN with a Java VPN client that loads as an applet. Really interesting, you can forward all ports you like via SSL, and it's Open Source - and it has several RDP clients on-board. The drawback with this: It has very limited abilities for application publishing, but it looks very promising. If I would be better in Java and if I'd have more spare time, I'd contribute to that ...

Good luck.

Thanks.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Points 2,460
ORIGINAL:
One further question: Is it a problem to run a Citrix Presentation Server on an AD domain controller? I'm aware of the possible problems regarding GPOs, but I managed to get around them in my environment (mostly). A strict separation of Domain Controller vs. Applications Servers is way too expensive for us.

You should never run any terminal server on an AD domain controller. You are giving users log on access to a DC and that's asking for trouble. Plus MS does not support running TS on a DC nor does Citrix.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Points 36,234
If you're having a problem with a specific problem, why not name the product, as someone here may be able to help you fix your problems, and save your $$$.

Additionally, we'd be able to compare features you have with your current product vs. Citrix, alternatives...

P.S. I assume you're referring to HOB, since they're the only non-Citrix product with a Java Client (except AEP, which you stated you hadn't heard of), as far as I know.

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Remote Desktop Services
Systems Consultant
Quest Software, Desktop Virtualization Group
www.vWorkspace.com

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS