Microsoft Forefront vs Citrix Access Gateway, in the Security forum on BrianMadden.com
Brian Madden Logo
Your independent source for desktop virtualization, consumerization, and enterprise mobility management.

Microsoft Forefront vs Citrix Access Gateway, in the Security forum on BrianMadden.com

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Points 250
loganking posted on Sat, Mar 26 2011 9:45 PM

Trying to decide between Citrix and a pure windows terminal server and one issue that we like about Citrix is their Access gateway security.The fact that its an appliance in the dmz and not just a windows machine running gateway server.  

But, after looking into Microsoft's forefront threat management gateway and the unified access gateway, I'm starting to wonder what the big difference is between the two and which is really more secure between a Citrix Access gateway and a Microsoft forefront gateway. 

If anyone has any ideas about the security between the two please let me know. 

Thanks, Clint

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Not Ranked
Points 250

Or if anyone has another solution for a secure access gateway for a 2008 terminal server  I'd love to hear about it. 

Top 25 Contributor
Points 8,940

In my opinion, the words "Microsoft" and "Security Gateway" don't belong in the same sentence.

The CAG appliance is a hardened appliance, designed for a specific purpose. Forefront requires Windows.

Not Ranked
Points 250

Yeah, the fact that the forefront server has to run on a damn windows server makes me scratch my head. 

Can a Citrix Access Gateway be used to connect to a pure TS server and run the apps?

Or when hosting TS apps to the internet is it standard practice to put the windows gateway server behind a firewall and connect to it using port 443? Or is that still seen as a security risk by everyone here?

Not Ranked
Points 30
yuzhiwen replied on Thu, May 12 2011 10:09 PM

Aha, now I have the same problem, I'd love to hear about that if anyone has some solution for a secure access gateway for a 2008 terminal server,thanks!

to be or not to be?

office 2007

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Points 45
plynch replied on Fri, May 13 2011 9:27 AM

loganking, what exactly are you trying to achieve here? Are you looking to implement a method of remote access to access an already existing citrix environment or are you doing something else?

There are many methods of deploying such remote access capabilities, I would however recommend staying away from Microsoft Forefront TMG compared to CAG - but it depends on your architecture and what your trying to achieve.

Not Ranked
Points 250

I'm wanting to host applications using terminal server on the internet. But, trying to see if I can do it without buying Citrix Xenapp and Citrix access gateway.

What I need is a device and or method that has the security like the Citrix Access Gateway.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS