Citrix Management Console will not Open, in the Citrix XenApp / Presentation Server forum on BrianMadden.com
Brian Madden Logo
Your independent source for desktop virtualization, consumerization, and enterprise mobility management.

Citrix Management Console will not Open, in the Citrix XenApp / Presentation Server forum on BrianMadden.com

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Points 160
Crezzy posted on Mon, Jul 19 2010 2:35 AM

Hi all,

Having a weird issue here with Xenapp 5 on W2008 Server SP2.

We had to turn off UAC on our 3 Citrix servers as it was causing an issue with a published app.

Servers were rebooted but now the Citrix Management console will not open on them.  Just get an egg timer for 1 second and nothing appears.

No errors in event viewer either.

Anybody seen anything like this before?

Thanks

• | Post Points: 20

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Not Ranked
Points 420
Answered (Verified) Trixie replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 11:53 AM
Verified by Crezzy

It Works Now! I don't know why this would make any difference but I found KB950923 to fix some issues and it got my XenApp 5 Advanced console working. I had to request the download from here:

http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=950923&kbln=en-us#step2

Here are the errors the above article fixed on these VM's:

Error positioning to end of log file -- can't get oldest log record. Handle specified is 30867496. Return code from GetOldestEventLogRecord is 223.

Log file not positioned at end.

SNMP Event Log Extension Agent did not initialize correctly.

Error processing registry parameters. Extension agent terminating.

SNMP Event Log Extension Agent has terminated.

The KB fixed these issues and conincidentally, now my Advanced Console works. I have no idea how these things are related and it could just be coincidence but at least it works now. When installing the KB, it re-enabled UAC so I changed it in Policy to turn it off. I restarted the server a couple of times for good measure and it still works. I hope this helps.

<PT>
  • | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Points 2,306

Is your IMA service running?

"one day not online is a day fully lifed!"

Not Ranked
Points 160
Crezzy replied on Mon, Jul 19 2010 6:27 PM

Yes IMA service is running, users are able to log on and run applications without error.

Have tried restarting the IMA but the management console still doesn't open.

Servers are runnign on vSphere - have checked that side of things out and all looks ok (no resourse constraints)

Not Ranked
Points 420
Trixie replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 10:47 AM

I have this issue as well with a VM on Citrix XenServer 5.6SP1 with Windows 2008 32bit Standard installed from the ground up (did not clone or use a template). When I RDP to that 2008 32bit standard server with XenApp 5 and attempt to launch the Advanced Console, it looks like it wants to launch but then minimizes on the server console and does not actually open. UAC is disabled and I found something about JRE6u14 and installed that then tried reinstalling the CMC and still no luck. Even tried reapplying R01. The following KB's were installed prior to installing Citrix KB949914, KB958652 and KB967756. .NetFramework 3.5SP1. I even compared it to another server where it works via ICA connection and cannot find any differences. Although the one that works, I do have to minimize it then maximize it before it shows the content of the console.  I have an SQL Data Store. I've moved it around in AD so that I have zero policies applied to that server and yet nothing I do seems to make a difference.

Did you find a solution?

<PT>
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Points 420
Trixie replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 10:56 AM

One other thing that I just noticed is that while in the RDP console session to this server, after launching the Advanced Tools console and right-clicking on it and selecting Maximize, it actually comes up.

<PT>
Not Ranked
Points 420
Answered (Verified) Trixie replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 11:53 AM
Verified by Crezzy

It Works Now! I don't know why this would make any difference but I found KB950923 to fix some issues and it got my XenApp 5 Advanced console working. I had to request the download from here:

http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=950923&kbln=en-us#step2

Here are the errors the above article fixed on these VM's:

Error positioning to end of log file -- can't get oldest log record. Handle specified is 30867496. Return code from GetOldestEventLogRecord is 223.

Log file not positioned at end.

SNMP Event Log Extension Agent did not initialize correctly.

Error processing registry parameters. Extension agent terminating.

SNMP Event Log Extension Agent has terminated.

The KB fixed these issues and conincidentally, now my Advanced Console works. I have no idea how these things are related and it could just be coincidence but at least it works now. When installing the KB, it re-enabled UAC so I changed it in Policy to turn it off. I restarted the server a couple of times for good measure and it still works. I hope this helps.

<PT>
  • | Post Points: 40
Not Ranked
Points 160
Crezzy replied on Thu, Mar 24 2011 11:22 PM

Thanks for the infomation.

I've applied that hotfix and now the management console opens on 1 of the 3 Citrix servers.

So its good progress :)

No idea why it still doesn't open on the other 2...

Xenapp6 is getting introduced soon so hopefully we wont get this type of issue on that platform

Cheers

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS