Schedule Reboot of Citrix Servers XenApp 5 FP2 2k3 Enterprise, in the Citrix XenApp / Presentation Server forum on BrianMadden.com
Brian Madden Logo
Your independent source for desktop virtualization, consumerization, and enterprise mobility management.

Schedule Reboot of Citrix Servers XenApp 5 FP2 2k3 Enterprise, in the Citrix XenApp / Presentation Server forum on BrianMadden.com

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Points 100
andrewarleo posted on Mon, Jun 28 2010 3:28 PM

I've been searching for the answer to this and have not been able to figure it out.  supposedly this feature was built into the management console in previous versions of PS.  We currently have a XenApp 5.0 FP2 farm on Win2k3 servers, running Enterprise edition. 

I would like to setup a schedule to do this and know that the product contains the functionality but am not sure if I am missing it or I need to install a previous version as I read in a post 

http://forums.citrix.com/message.jspa?messageID=1421940

http://www.brianmadden.com/forums/t/34786.aspx

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• | Post Points: 35

Answered (Verified) Verified Answers

Top 100 Contributor
Points 2,160
Verified by andrewarleo

In the AMC, right click your server and go to properties then restart schedule.  You can set it there.

• | Post Points: 40
Not Ranked
Points 100
Verified by andrewarleo

Ah I finally got it figured out thanks to your guy's help.

It appears that resource manager must be installed to give you the properties choice under Advanced Configuration Console.

Choice is now there.

Thanks guys!

• | Post Points: 25

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Points 2,160
Verified by andrewarleo

In the AMC, right click your server and go to properties then restart schedule.  You can set it there.

• | Post Points: 40
Not Ranked
Points 105
B.T. replied on Wed, Jun 30 2010 2:06 AM

Yep, Jody is correct, but take note of the final comment in the thread http://www.brianmadden.com/forums/t/34786.aspx - if you're after a schedule for multiple servers across a farm, then staggering it is the way to go so your server-based desktops/applications are always serviced by at least one or more servers within your farm.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Points 100

I'm assuming that AMC is Access Management Console.  I have verified that it is installed and if so, I don't know how to launch it.  If you control it through delivery services console, there is no option when I go server properties or tasks.  I'm hoping I'm just doing something silly.

Thanks

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Points 105
B.T. replied on Wed, Jun 30 2010 8:28 PM

I've only ever known it as the Citrix XenApp Advanced Configuration Console but it was called the Access Management Console under PS4.

When you log onto the management server as a Citrix and local administrator, you should be getting the ICA Admin toolbar appearing on the right hand side. The bottom button should launch the Citrix Delivery Services Console (DSC). The button above that should launch the Advanced Configuration Console or the old AMC. Another way would be to launch it from the link under 'Related Tools' on the central panel of the DSC.

Once you open it, you can expand the top level which should have the same name as your farm. Expand the servers folder and any folders you have created under it until you expose the server you're after. Right click the server name and choose properties from the menu. Choose Reboot Schedule from the left pane.

Tick the check box for 'Reboot server at these times'

Configure your reboot schedule.

Click on the 'Apply to other servers' button and and choose which other servers you wish to apply this schedule to and then insert the minutes you wish to stagger the schedule across.

Okay the lot and you're done.

Let me know how you get on.

Not Ranked
Points 100

First, thank you for the help guys.

Second,  I figured that's what you were referring to.  In my advanced configuration console, I expand the servers node.  It lists all my servers but right clicking on one only gives me three options, refresh "servername" , load manager monitor, and update printer and driver information.  No properties option.  Also, if I just highlight a server, on the panel to the right, it has the four tabs, load manager monitor, printers, printer drivers, but the first tab says "moved" and below it says the feature you have selected is now administered using the Delivery Services Console.  I'm linking to a screenshot for reference. http://yfrog.com/j8citrixj

Thanks

Not Ranked
Points 105
B.T. replied on Thu, Jul 1 2010 7:53 PM

Okay, either I'm out of my depth or something isn't quite right.

I use XenApp with Platinum licensing so I get a few extra toys but I would have thought the options within this console would have been fairly similar - but it doesn't appear to be.

Right clicking on the server name should give you the following options on the menu:

Refresh 'Servername'

Load Manager Monitor

Install Package

Update Pritner and Driver Information

Resource Manager Server log

Properties

Even if you don't have Installlation Manager or Resource Manager installed and operational you should still have a properties option. I have six tabs on the right pane: Moved; Load Manager Monitor; Installed packages; Pritners; Print Drivers; Resource Manager.

So it looks like you're missing things on both ends, unless Ent edition doesn't allow you some of them, but still - you should have a properties option.

Is it your account? Are you using a Citrix Administrators account with full privilages and who is a local administrator, or part of the Administrator's group, on the box?

Not Ranked
Points 100
Verified by andrewarleo

Ah I finally got it figured out thanks to your guy's help.

It appears that resource manager must be installed to give you the properties choice under Advanced Configuration Console.

Choice is now there.

Thanks guys!

• | Post Points: 25
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS