IMA Service will not start, in the Citrix XenApp / Presentation Server forum on BrianMadden.com
Brian Madden Logo
Your independent source for desktop virtualization, consumerization, and enterprise mobility management.

IMA Service will not start, in the Citrix XenApp / Presentation Server forum on BrianMadden.com

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Points 75
Jeff Epperly posted on Tue, Dec 1 2009 11:58 AM

We currently have a PS 4.5 farm (30 servers) running HRP4.  We recently moved our SQL datastore to another server.  There have been no problems until I tried to recreate the LHC on one server.  IMA service now fails trying to load the RMMONITORSS.DLL.  I receive the following errors.

Failed to load initial plugins with error IMA_RESULT_ENTRY_NOT_FOUND.

Failed to load plugin C:\Program Files\Citrix\System32\Citrix\IMA\SubSystems\RMMonitorSS.dll with error IMA_RESULT_ENTRY_NOT_FOUND

We have ran DSCHECK with all the switches and the database is clean.  No errors.  We called Citrix support and they verified the DB was clean and they also performed several other tasks such as recreating the ICA listner which had no affect.  They also ran a Citrix repair which didn't fix the problem as well.  We verified the plugins where in their correct location and temp/tmp variables were configured and the temp directory exists.  I recreated the LHC on another server which resulted in the same IMA service startup failure.  I renamed the IMALHC.MDB/LDB files to old, renamed the BAK copies to their original name and the IMA service starts without error.  All servers are conencting to the SQL DB without error.  The DSN files are correct.

Citrix claims the server or DB is corrupted and a total rebuild is required. We just rebuilt the environment prior to the DB move and haven't had any issues. I think this is unacceptable.  They cannot fix a plugin load failure?  Come on!

We also have an issue where you cannot change the ZDC.  When you make the change in the Presentation Server Console the change is not saved and the same ZDC is listed as most preferred.   No errors of any kind. Checked firewall, 2512 is not being blocked.

Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated as we do not want to rebuild the environment again. 

Thanks in Advance

Jeff

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Points 2,610
adpot replied on Tue, Dec 1 2009 12:11 PM

this is a long shot but might work. Try doing a Chfarm and move the server into a temp farm and reboot the server and then try again doing chafarm and add the server back to the Original Farm. Cannot guarantee but it is worth a shot.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Points 5,251

If you moved your datastore the servers probably don't know the new location of the datastore I am guessing. You may need to point them to the new datastore location.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Points 48,651

Check to make sure all your servers are aware of the new DataStore location.  Also, since the database was moved, check the SQL server to make sure something hasn't consumed all the disk space where the log files are stored.  This often happens when the SQL instance hasn't got a proper backup job schedule within SQL.  The log file will grow until it uses up all available disk space.  At that point, no changes can be saved, and IMA services will fail to start.  Usually, though, the IMA service throws an error of some kind.  However, you symptoms sound very much like this situation.

Why is it called "Common Sense"? It doesn't seem all that common!

Top 25 Contributor
Points 14,654

Lots of things to try, if you recently migrated do you have a copy of the old DS? Not many changes in the DB that wouldn't be fixed or not missed form a restore.

Also confirm all servers are connecting to the DS, grep the MF20 files to see everything is 100%.  I have seen the issue that Dan is referring to so this could be it.

You could run DSMAINT /CONFIG against the servers again.

Check IP connectivity to the DS and DC's.

As the failing PlugIn is RMMonitorSS.dll is it related to the RM DB?

One final thing, create a new zona and put all the servers there.

If you do need to recreate the DS CitrixTools.net can probable automate 90%

--Emil

Not Ranked
Points 75

Greg,

Thanks for the reply.  The MF20.DSN file is correct and all servers are connecting to the DS without error.

Jeff

Not Ranked
Points 75

Emil,

All your suggestions have been tried without any success.  The plug in failure is related to the RM DB.  However, when configuring a server to point to the rmsummarydatabase, IMA stills fails to start due to the load failure of RMMonitorSS.dll.   I'm not sure how to get around this.  It appears a completely new DS and server build is the only way around this.  One would think recreating the RM DB and then creating a ODBC connection to the DB would solve this problem for that particular server.  So far that hasn't been the case.

Jeff

Top 25 Contributor
Points 14,654

An easy way to check DB corruption is to ODBC to a copy of a known good DB backup, with the offending Citrix Server and see what happens.

--Emil

Not Ranked
Points 20

Hi ,

Please let me know,if any one was able to resolve the issue.My Data Connection server is able to import data from all other xenapp servers except one. Secondly, whenever I am rebooting the server, it's not automatically starting IMA Service and failing with following error:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: IMAService
Event Category: None
Event ID: 3609
Date:  9/5/2012
Time:  7:24:42 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: TEMPSRV

Description:
Failed to load plugin C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\System32\Citrix\IMA\SubSystems\RMMonitorSS.dll with error IMA_RESULT_ENTRY_NOT_FOUND

I am getting following login in the Database Connection server log under Resource Manager :

The temporary file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\System32\Citrix\IMA\Temp\0bc5-0021-00000912_1CD89D78BD4AFCA" from host "xyz" timed out waiting for import

I am already recreated LHC multiple times. When I do DSMAINT CONFIG , IMA gets up but the issue comes back again next day.

Please help me resolving the issue

Thanks,

Arindam

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS