Negotiating Capabilities, in the Citrix XenApp / Presentation Server forum on BrianMadden.com
Brian Madden Logo
Your independent source for desktop virtualization, consumerization, and enterprise mobility management.

Negotiating Capabilities, in the Citrix XenApp / Presentation Server forum on BrianMadden.com

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Points 1,230
Simon Jackson posted on Mon, Sep 20 2004 8:48 AM
Hi

We're in the process of building a new MPS3.0 farm. We've got to users testing and discoverd that when I connect using any of the Version 8 clients (PN Client, PN Agent or WI 3.0), the connection seems to 'hang' on the Negotiating Capabilities message for about 10 seconds. Once it gets past this point the rest of the logon happens really fast. I've not seen this before....

What actually happens during this phase of the connection?

BTW: I haven't tested with any other versions of the client.

regards

Simon
  • | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Guest replied on Tue, Sep 21 2004 7:47 AM
Simon,

if you have local drives enabled, could you try it without them (disable local drive mapping)?

Jos.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Points 1,230
turned out to be a TS Licensing issue.
We've got more than one TS Licensing server on the same subnet (different purchasing departments) also one farm was 2003 the other 2000
I think the delays were due to machines in an NT4 domain looking at the wrong TSLS box. I seem to have resolved this though.
Not Ranked
Points 290
We've had similar problems in our environment. For us, it was a problem with permissions on the MSLicensing subkey in the client machine's registry. Apparently, when the client is installed, it runs a program called "migraten.exe" that is supposed to modify the permissions on the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSLicensing subkey so that Users have Query Value, Set Value, Create Subkey, Enumerate Subkeys, Notify, and Read Control. But instead of changing the permissions for BUILTIN\Users, it adds those permissions for the nonexistent group of BUILTIN\BUILTIN.

Some users already have the required rights to make everything work, but others do not, and they get stuck at the "negotiating capabilities" window. Giving the Users group the above permissions on the MSLicensing key (or giving them Full Control, which is what I do) seems to correct the problem.

This is yet another bug in the 8.0 client. I really hope Citrix puts out an update soon.
  • | Post Points: 35
Guest replied on Thu, Mar 17 2005 3:34 PM
[ul]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[/ul]
  • | Post Points: 5
Guest replied on Wed, Mar 23 2005 3:06 PM
It's not a Citix issue. It is a M$ issue!
Guest replied on Mon, Mar 28 2005 6:21 PM
i have windows 98 that is experiening this same issue. although at 9am it worked then at 12pm it did not work any more for this one win98 2nd ed pc. what is the problem with citrix and windows98 pc's? does anyone have any possible solutions that would make this work with my metaframefr2 server? thanks jve1966@yahoo.com
Top 150 Contributor
Points 1,690
Ran into this same issue last night on a Windows 2000 Server with PNAgent 8.1 I had to grant the users group full control of the following reg key.

HKEY_LOCALMACHINE_SOFTWARE_MICROSOFT_MSLICENSE

Keep us posted on your fix.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS