Installing Business Objects on Citrix, in the Citrix XenApp / Presentation Server forum on BrianMadden.com
Brian Madden Logo
Your independent source for desktop virtualization, consumerization, and enterprise mobility management.

Installing Business Objects on Citrix, in the Citrix XenApp / Presentation Server forum on BrianMadden.com

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Points 540
Sultanad posted on Tue, May 5 2009 11:27 AM

Has anyone installed Business object in a Citrix enviroment?  Would like to know how it was installed and if there are any issues?  Before I go ahead and try and install it.

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Points 7,839

I have installed it and had it working for about 4 years or so.  What version of BO?  I do recall in that environment having a BOMAIN directory on the users home drive.  I can't remember if that was universe related or not, but it did work very well. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Points 7,839

Actually it was a BO7 directory with a BOMain sub directory with a bunch of files and one in particular that was essential to their BO profile.  I can't remember the name of it....it's been a while.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Points 540

Hi Dan,

We have Business Objects version XI release 2

Top 100 Contributor
Points 2,321

I've installed diffrent version of BO on Citrix envoirements.
Although in some cases we had to make some preperations, there are no big issue's.

Just install and expiraince yourself. It all should work fine!

"one day not online is a day fully lifed!"

Top 500 Contributor
Points 540

I've installed it, when users access the app they can login. However when they run a generate a report it errors out unhandled exception uknown video card etc etc, although it works from the server directly.  Any ideas?

Top 500 Contributor
Points 540

OK, I think I may know what the issue is, so some help would be good.  On the Citrix server the application BO is creating a temp folder under p:\document&setting\username\temp\ and as a "normal" and it fails as a normal users.  If I access it as a domain admin it works fine..any ideas?

Top 100 Contributor
Points 2,321

You're correct that BO is pointing to a TEMP folder

in the registry we have changed the temp location
HKLM\Software\Business Objects\Shared\general\<version>\directories\temp  key : Directory
you can change the path to the users homefolder for example.

hope it will work for you

Top 500 Contributor
Points 540

I cant find that key or that directory in the registry...

Top 100 Contributor
Points 2,321

With BO XI the key should be someting like:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\BUSINESSOBJECTS\SUITE12.0\DEFAULT\SHARED\GENERAL\DIRECTORIES\
key: TEMP REG_SZ

The default value here is :\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\
try to change it to a folder where users had permissions like the HomeFolder.

Top 500 Contributor
Points 540

I have changed the value for for the Temp to \\servername\%user.name%\

However this has not resolved the issue, when I connect to BO via Citrix, a folder P:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Business Objects\Business Objects 11.5 is created on the Citrix server.  When I try and run a report it errors out.  When I log off the P:\Documents and Settings\username is removed automatically

However If the user account is added to  local admins it works fine, the folder is created and is not removed after.  I have also changed the other values in the HKLM\SOFTWARE\BUSINESSOBJECTS\SUITE12.0\DEFAULT\SHARED\GENERAL\DIRECTORIES  if the values where;

%USER_DOCUMENTS%\BusinessObjects Documents\

%USER_DOCUMENTS%\My Business Objects Documents\

%USER_DOCUMENTS%\Business Objects\

%USER_PROFILE_APP_DIR%\Business Objects\

I set these to \\servername\%username%\application data\, however this has also not worked.

I am assuming that BO def requires a folder somewhere and as a "normal" user does not have secuirty rights to server, therefore its errors out.

Top 100 Contributor
Points 2,321

Well it's clear there is a permission issue somewhere going on.
to bad it hasn't workt for you so far.

Try to figur out where it could be.
I would suggest you'll give a normal user rights to the \Program files\Business Objects folder and work from there to get the picture where the lack of permission is. So far we dont have issue's like this in our envoirement.

Let me know if you get a step further

Top 500 Contributor
Points 540

I've adding the permissions for normal users to the \Program files\Business that hasn't worked.

What I now know is that changing the temp to point to users home folder does copy data from BO to it.  However when users access the BO published app it still creates a P:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Business Objects\Business Objects 11.5 folder with following sub folders

Euro, LSI,Remote,Shdata,universes and XMLFilters these folders are larger than the one in their home directory.  Is there anything else I can try?  Seem to be on a lost cause at the moment [:'(]

Top 500 Contributor
Points 540

I have found the answer from SAP Big Smile.  The reason for the error is because the universe file is larger than 1MB and Citrix crashes out if a file is larger than 1MB.  This has been resolved and installing the latest service pack for BO.  This is a known issue for BO on Citrix

Top 100 Contributor
Points 2,321

good thing you've found the answer.
It's always recommendable to have installed the latest updates and hotfixes before searching for detailed troubleshooting. We didn't have the problem probably because we have the latest hotfixes running.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS