Citrix XenApp Server connection error, in the Citrix XenApp / Presentation Server forum on BrianMadden.com
Brian Madden Logo
Your independent source for desktop virtualization, consumerization, and enterprise mobility management.

Citrix XenApp Server connection error, in the Citrix XenApp / Presentation Server forum on BrianMadden.com

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Points 100
rmcbrayer posted on Thu, Feb 5 2009 12:47 PM

Hi, I've just installed Citrix XenApp 5.0 on three servers (one physical server using vmware ESXi).  One server is only servicing the Citrix licenses, 2nd server running the XenApp server, and the third is running the Web interface.  I am able to reach the web site, logon is successful, and I am able to see the "Apps" folder I created.  When I select an application (in this case as a test it was Notepad), I recieve an error:  "Cannot Connect to the Citrix XenApp Server.  Protocol Driver Error". 

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks.

Robert

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Points 24,600

Usually that's caused by a misconfiguration in the WI settings RE the XML service. Double-check that the XML port is set properly for the WI farm settings (presumably you added your ZDC to the list of servers). Also, make sure that you can telnet to the XML service port of your ZDC from the WI server:

telnet zdc_ip_address xml_port

Example:

telnet 192.168.2.25 8080

You should see a result similar to this:

HTTP/1.1 400 Bad request
Server: Citrix Web PN Server
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 07:04:07 GMT
Connection: Close

Also, are users connecting to the WI externally, internally, or both? If internally, the access method in the WI DMZ settings should be set to Direct. If externally, either use Alternate addressing (you need to configure the altaddr command) or use WI Translations (I personally like this option better). If both, you'll need separate entries - default should be either alternate or translated for external connections and you'll need to add a new entry for your internal subnet using direct access method.

Alan Osborne

President (MCSE, CCNA, VCP, CCA)

VCIT Consulting - Citrix/Terminal Services Remote Desktop Solutions for SMB

VCIT website My Blog

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Points 100

The XenApp server had the XML service using the same port as IIS, so I unregistered it and set it to 8080 (restarted server).  From the WI server, I was able to telnet into the XenApp server.  Also, I set the XML service on the WI server to 8080 (was set at 80)... Still recieving the same error message. 

All firewalls have been disabled on the servers and client and these test are being performed on the same "leg" of the network, so there isn't a firewall or router to traverse in this case.

Thanks.

Top 10 Contributor
Points 24,600

Do you have Session Reliability (SR) enabled on the farm? If so, try disabling it:

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX108439

If that resolves the problem, then make sure that the XTE service is running properly on your ZDC.

Alan Osborne

VCIT website My Blog

Not Ranked
Points 100

I disabled the Session Reliability on the XenApp server and restarted the server; still no luck. 

Also, the XTE service is not working.  When I try to start the service (was set to "manual"), I get the following error:  "The Citrix XTE Server service terminated with service-specific error 1 (0x1)".  The event viewer is pretty worthless in this case...  I ran a search on that error and most everyone suggests that the Network Service rights aren't correct.  I checked those rights and it has full access to the entire XTE folder. 

Thanks.

Top 10 Contributor
Points 24,600

The article I referenced steps through disabling SR on the WI server, which means that the ICA file that the WI generates likewise has SR disabled on the client side. Have you tried that?

Also, the XTE service does have a log which you can examine for more info (in C:\Program Files\Citrix\XTE\logs by default). The service should be set to manual and it should be running when things are normal. Have a look at this article too:

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX106531

Two simple things to try first:

- Temporarily set the XTE service to run under the Local System account, reboot, and check the XTE service status to rule out permissions issues. If it runs under the Local System account, then you've got a permissions issue with the Network Service account

- Copy the XTE.pid file from a know good server, then reboot the server and see if the XTE service starts

Alan Osborne

VCIT website My Blog

Not Ranked
Points 100
I've got the XTE service working now and the connection/application worked until I made a change; trying to get the SSL/443 connection working and now I'm back to where I was earlier.  I'm getting the same error about "protocol driver".  Thanks.
Top 10 Contributor
Points 24,600

Post back your WI config settings; particularly Farm, DMZ, and address translation settings. Did you issue the altaddr command on your back end XenApp server?

Alan Osborne

VCIT website My Blog

Not Ranked
Points 155

I don't think it would be xml related, it so he wouldn't even see the list of apps right?  Sounds like can't get to the ica port on the citrix server.  can you telnet to the 1494 and 2598 ports from the WI server?  Try looking at the launch.ica file to make sure looks right. 

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Points 100

I've got it working on the same network again. Instead of removing XenApp and re-installing, I chose the "repair" option and now it's working locally. From "outside", I'm getting the "can't find server or subnet" error, which tells me that port 1494 isn't open on the firewall. I'm going to try and setup SSL relay now. Thanks.

Not Ranked
Points 165

We have a 50 server v4.5 Citrix farm.  Dedicated data collectors, redundant STA servers, redundant PNA servers, redundant WI servers.  Everything is run through our Netscalers (load balancing for WI & PNA) for both internal and external (Access Gateway 8.1, build 58.5).  Through the WI, there is no problem.  Through the PNA, we get the same error as noted above, but not on all apps, so I'm inclined to think that the problem is related to a handful of servers, since we have different apps on different servers.  We also have Session Reliability disabled.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks! 

-jim

Jim Dirkes - Systems Engineer
Medical University of SC
Charleston, SC
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS