Windows 2003 Login Screen, in the Citrix XenApp / Presentation Server forum on BrianMadden.com
Brian Madden Logo
Your independent source for desktop virtualization, consumerization, and enterprise mobility management.

Windows 2003 Login Screen, in the Citrix XenApp / Presentation Server forum on BrianMadden.com

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 21 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Points 283
Sameer Pathan posted on Tue, Jan 6 2009 3:50 PM

Hello,

We have published apps for users. Some of the users are complaining that after some time and inactivity on the application it prompts them with the Windows 2003 Login screen.  We are using PS4.0 and all users use only published apps.

Thanks,

• | Post Points: 68

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Points 895

I know one instance where they will get the Windows logon screen during logon if passthru is not turned on, assuming your using the Full PN client.

ScottC.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Points 48,811

Any chance you have a screen saver configured on the servers?  It almost sounds like a screen saver kicking in and prompting the user for a password to let them back in.

Why is it called "Common Sense"? It doesn't seem all that common!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Points 283

Hi Scott,

here is the link to my ICA Settings

Thanks

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Points 283

Hi Dan,

Screen Savers are disabled on all servers.I am so stumped with this issue.

Thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Points 88,220

Screen savers are per user setting and must be disabled for the users.  do you have GPO's that are configured for the end users to apply a screen saver?

Top 500 Contributor
Points 895

It kind of sounds like the Screen Saver is enabled.  Are you sure the logon screen is actually the Windows Logon screen and not an application logon prompt.

Also, I cannot see the Disconnect setting in the screen shot you sent, but for a TEST set it to 1 so if the client gets disconnected the session will end within 1 minute, and they will be forced to launch the Pub app again. Instead of reconnecting to the same session.

Thats all I can think of from the information provided.

1. What ICA client version are your users using?  Are they using PASSTHRU authentication? or do they have to type their windows logon each time they access the application?

2. Versions of OS and XenApp?

ScottC.

Not Ranked
Points 283

How can I set a policy to disable screen savers for all users.?

We are on Windows 2003 enterprise edition server & PS 4.0. They are using PASSTHRU authentication and the login once on the portal and then they launch the published apps. They have separate user name and password for their apps except Windows published apps like explorer, IE, Office suite.

Top 10 Contributor
Points 88,220

The question is have you checked your GPO's to see if the screen saver is being applied?

Not Ranked
Points 283

I have applied the GPO where the Screen savers have been disabled. BUt still some users are complaining about sessions being locked.

Top 10 Contributor
Points 24,600

As Jeff mentioned, you need to determine whether a GP setting is causing this - an RSOP query against one of your "problem" servers and an affected user account should answer that question.

Alan Osborne

President (MCSE, CCNA, VCP, CCA)

VCIT Consulting - Citrix/Terminal Services Remote Desktop Solutions for SMB

VCIT website My Blog

Not Ranked
Points 283

Hi Alan,

I ran the RSOP query on 1 of the users and it shows screen saver policy setting disabled.

Not Ranked
Points 283

Ok..some more info on this...

I ran the RSOP on 1 user but all the GPO settings did not show up except the Screen Saver being disabled option under User Config.

I have all my Citrix servers under an OU called Citrix Servers. There is a default Domain policy but I have enabled Block Inheritance on the Citrix Server OU. I have created a new GPO called Citrix Screen Saver and linked it to the Citrix Server OU. The settings for this GPO are shown in these images below

1 -

2 -

3 -

Thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Points 24,600

In your original post, you stated:

"Some of the users are complaining that after some time and inactivity on the application it prompts them with the Windows 2003 Login screen"

Have you confirmed yourself that the users are seeing the Windows Server 2003 login screen? Are they perhaps seeing the "Unlock Computer" screen for their local PC instead? Just wondering if the PC is going to sleep and on wake up, prompting for password.

Alan Osborne

President (MCSE, CCNA, VCP, CCA)

VCIT Consulting - Citrix/Terminal Services Remote Desktop Solutions for SMB

VCIT website My Blog

Not Ranked
Points 75

At the server, open Terminal Services Configuration.  Double click the ICA connection and open the Sessions tab.  Review the settings there for idle and disabled time limits.

If that is set to be controlled by the users profile, open AD and look at the Sessions tab for one lf the affected user IDs for similar settings.

COFFEE.EXE missing.

Insert CUP and press ENTER to retry.

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS