Executable won't start in Published Desktop, in the Citrix XenApp / Presentation Server forum on BrianMadden.com
Brian Madden Logo
Your independent source for desktop virtualization, consumerization, and enterprise mobility management.

Executable won't start in Published Desktop, in the Citrix XenApp / Presentation Server forum on BrianMadden.com

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Points 335
Alexander Ollischer posted on Wed, Oct 29 2008 9:28 AM

Hi,

I've installed an application on a newly installed Citrix PS 4.0. This application is TS aware and has already successfully been installed and executed on another Citrix farm. The Citrix PS is installed on a Windows Server 2003 SE w/ SP2.

The newly installed application now won't start within an ICA or RDP session. For debugging purposes I allowed logging on to the Console using ICA and/or RDP. The user account has limited rights on the server. GPO settings are in place. During further testing I deactivated GPO settings for the user account and added it to the local Administrators group. But the application still won't work. Task Manager shows the executable for a split second and then it disappears. Apparently this is not an user rights issue.

Upon further looking into this issue I found out that the executable can only be run while being at the Console level using RDP (RDP session ID 0) initiated by mstsc /console. Then the application will start and work as expected. Connections other than session 0 won't work. Connecting via ICA directly to the published desktop doesn't work either.

Is there a difference in session behaviour in terms of session 0 and subsequent, non-console sessions? Does it make any difference what kind of protocol is being used while connecting to the Citrix server?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Alex

• | Post Points: 35

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Not Ranked
Points 335

Big Smile

Dear Alan,

deactivating DEP (Data Execution Prevention) and a subsequent reboot solved it. Thank you very much.

Alex

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Not Ranked
Points 315
LeaUK replied on Wed, Oct 29 2008 9:44 AM

Alex

My understanding of the console session is that it’s analogous to being at the keyboard of the server itself and therefore has special properties.  Normal TS sessions are not real desktop sessions and also cannot interact fully; they are virtual desktop sessions.

We have only one app that needs to run at console level and fortunately doesn’t require to be run on Citrix. 

But what I don’t understand is that it runs OK on another Citrix system?  Maybe it’s worth running as an isolated environment to test?

Lea

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Points 24,600

Have you tried adding the app as a DEP exception or disabling DEP temporarily?

Alan Osborne

President (MCSE, CCNA, VCP, CCA)

VCIT Consulting - Citrix/Terminal Services Remote Desktop Solutions for SMB

VCIT website My Blog

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Points 335

Dear Alan,

I'll give it a try. DEP is still running and will be deactivated ASAP. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks
Alex

Not Ranked
Points 335

Big Smile

Dear Alan,

deactivating DEP (Data Execution Prevention) and a subsequent reboot solved it. Thank you very much.

Alex

• | Post Points: 40
Top 10 Contributor
Points 24,600

You're welcome. Note that you can also enable DEP for system processes only and you can also enable it for everything, then exclude problem executables. DEP in Windows Server 2003 is sort of half baked anyways as it doesn't implement ASLR...

Alan Osborne

President (MCSE, CCNA, VCP, CCA)

VCIT Consulting - Citrix/Terminal Services Remote Desktop Solutions for SMB

VCIT website My Blog

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS