Server load reporting 10000 after reboot, in the Citrix XenApp / Presentation Server forum on BrianMadden.com
Brian Madden Logo
Your independent source for desktop virtualization, consumerization, and enterprise mobility management.

Server load reporting 10000 after reboot, in the Citrix XenApp / Presentation Server forum on BrianMadden.com

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Points 50
Cliff Milliner posted on Fri, Jul 4 2008 5:49 AM
Help!

This is my setup. Windows 2003 SP2, PS4.5 Fr1, SQL data store, default Load Eval.
After I reboot a Citrix server and do a Qfarm /load its giving a load of 10000, so it's unuseable. If I reboot the server again quickly it then reports correctly. I can reproduce this on every server i build. Effectively meaning I have to reboot the servers twice to get them to work.

I have patched with Rollup 2 and it seems to make the problem worse, sometimes no matter how many times I reboot it just won't get the load repoted correctly.

I have tried CTX112103 but with no joy. I've followed CTX112082 and can see it setting the DB table to 64(hex) =100 users for the Server user load counter.
If i look at the load monitor Server user load is saying 100%.

If I change the load Eval to advanced i get the same problem just with a different counter eg memory, or CPU

Anyone got any ideas?
Cliff
  • | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Not Ranked
Points 374
Oliver replied on Mon, Mar 16 2009 5:35 AM

Hi Cliff

could you finally solve your problem? I have a similar issue and am looking for suggestions how to manage it!

Thanks!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Points 48,651
Suggested by Dan Murray

I am speaking from 4.0 experience, but I think what you are seeing is by design.  When I reboot a server, it will first report a "full" load (10000). If you wait, it will eventually drop back down over time to zero, or until it start taking load.  This is to prevent the "Black Hole" effect, where a newly rebooted server will suddenly start taking every request and get so bogged down dealing with them it can't finish getting itself started properly.

Why is it called "Common Sense"? It doesn't seem all that common!

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Points 118

Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Guys,

We got the same issue here. We have a couple of PS 4.5 r03 servers with the Dutch MUI installed. One or to servers report a full load, with bottleneck memory. When I connect locally to the server there is plenty of memory available.

I already checked all links named above, but still no-go.

What I noticed is the when the problem occurs I get several events in the application part of the event viewer. These are events with eventid 37 and 257 with source Citrix System Monitoring Agent. At this time also the Citrix System Monitoring Agent is in state Stopping.

After forcing the stopping process, the service automatically restarts and the load manager is working again.

If you have any idea what to check, please let me know.

Regards.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Points 48,651
Suggested by Dan Murray

One other thing to look for: Check in your registry, under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and check the PerfDisk, PerfNet, PerfOS and PerfProc hives.  Make sure there ISN'T a Disable entry in there.  That will mess up your LEs big time.

Why is it called "Common Sense"? It doesn't seem all that common!

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS