Factory Reset of Wyse XPe Thin-Client, in the Client / End User Issues forum on BrianMadden.com
Brian Madden Logo
Your independent source for desktop virtualization, consumerization, and enterprise mobility management.

Factory Reset of Wyse XPe Thin-Client, in the Client / End User Issues forum on BrianMadden.com

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Points 36,234
Patrick Rouse Posted: Tue, Jan 24 2006 6:54 PM
Is there a method similar to the G-Key reset to restore a Wyse XPe based thin-client to its' factory settings. I have 5 x 9450XE terminals that I want to quickly restore to the factory settings w/o having to re-image them.

I purchased them off of Ebay and I don't have the Administrator Password. I don't know if this is possible on XPe.

Thanks.

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Remote Desktop Services
Systems Consultant
Quest Software, Desktop Virtualization Group
www.vWorkspace.com

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Points 1,574
Sorry Patrick, you will have to re-image the terminals. The G-Key only works on Wyse Blazer, CE and Linux (provided it is not disabled). Hit the Wyse.com site for the firmware and on the download page is the "simple imager" tool. This will let you image up to 5 devices via PXE from a notebook without having to set up Rapport,

Regards,
-TT

-TT
www.freewysemonkeys.com
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Points 36,234
Cool. I plan to resell them on Ebay and just want them to be clean when I do, so I don't have to answer dumb questions from the buyer(s).

Thanks.

P.S. I got 5 x 9450XE thin-clients for $700, which I think is a pretty good deal since they retail for $549 and usually sell for $299+ each.

Patrick Rouse
Systems Consultant
www.vWorkspace.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Points 1,574
Yep, thats a good deal for sure! BTW if the devices are not set to PXE boot first and you need to change the boot order the BIOS password is Fireport (with the capital). If the user has changed it and you need to reset it the 9450's have a CMOS battery so just pull it out for a while.

Cheers,
-TT

-TT
www.freewysemonkeys.com
Top 10 Contributor
Points 36,234
Thanks. The description on ebay was poor, so most people didn't know it was a lot of 5. I was happy to acquire them for this price.

Patrick Rouse
Systems Consultant
www.vWorkspace.com

Guest replied on Fri, Oct 27 2006 2:11 PM
I have a similar issue with a wyse 9440XL. I need to set to factory setting but I do not have the admin password.

I have scanned the wyse site and have located references to the 'simple imager' but it does not list 9440 as a supported device.

Any suggestions on where to turn?

Thanks,
chris

cmenard - at - yahoo.com
Guest replied on Fri, Oct 27 2006 2:13 PM
I have just registered. I posted the previous message.
Not Ranked
Points 60
ok, now I have registered, verified email and logged in.

Sorry for the chatter, just wanted calim my post
Top 150 Contributor
Points 1,574
Hi,

The 9440XL is a older device with a non-PXE BIOS so it does not use the Wyse Simple Imager. Go to the Wyse site and search the download firmware section for a 3125SE, at the bottom of the page is a tool called netXfer. Grab this tool and the instructions, now go and get the firmware for the 9440XL.

Note, this tool requires Microsoft Java to run, it will not work with Sun Java. You can find a old copy of MS java here:

http://www.freewysemonkeys.com/site/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownloaddetails&lid=41&ttitle=Microsoft_Java

I hope this helps,

Cheers,
-TT

-TT
www.freewysemonkeys.com
Not Ranked
Points 60
thanx, I have retrieve the netXfer and the firmware. i installed the java but I have no idea which version was jsut installed. is there a a verison number i should use. I currently have the following jave instatnce installed under program_files/java (like a virus)
[blockquote]
1.4.2_01
1.4.2_03
1.5.0_02
1.5.0_04
1.5.0_06
[/blockquote]
I;m gonna guess 1.4.2_03
Top 10 Contributor
Points 36,234
These are Sun Java. You need the Microsoft JVM. Be careful about keeping it on your machine, as it's full of vulnerabilities. You'll have to google for it as ist's no longer provided by Microsoft.

Patrick Rouse
Systems Consultant
www.vWorkspace.com

Not Ranked
Points 60
thanx to all for quick advice. couple things.

1) i have teh existing java RTs on my pc and I run the windows java install, it says that it completes sucessfully.

2) on the firmware update I'm so close, I can taste it.

I have my XP machine running the transfer. XP machine and 9440 are on an isolated switch.

i power up the 9440 and cant seem to get the the transfer to start. holding P, pumping P. just boots as it not LAN connected.

any advice?

The XP cosole looks like this:

C:\NetXfermkutc.bat W192B270.img
Image To UTC conversion Program v9.0 (atf)
Added Image:' tftp.dat' Base: 00100200 Cumulative: 00008000
Added Image:' ulc_code.pk' Base: 00108200 Cumulative: 00040000
Searching for Index 3
Added Image:'W192B270.img(103)' Base: 00700000 Cumulative: 08b783b9
Creating Downloadable Image:'bootp.bin'
Execution [00100200]
Conversion Complete.
NetXfer Version 2.18 $
Current (transfers: 0 threads: 3)
total files: (incomplete: 0 success: 0) [bytes:0], BOOTP : 0

Top 150 Contributor
Points 1,574
It can be a pain sometimes, unplug the device and hold the P key before pluging it back in.

Also make sure the firewall is off on your PC and the IP address is 10.0.0.1/24,

Cheers,
-TT

-TT
www.freewysemonkeys.com
Guest replied on Sun, Sep 16 2007 3:07 PM
I have a 9450xe I am trying to re image, and I have downloaded the firmware and the Wyse Simple Imager 1.2.0 It tells me I need for my xp notebook to hve IIS FTP services installed, and etc. Help, I do not understand and it is not part of XP Pro?
Guest replied on Mon, Sep 17 2007 12:27 AM
I am glad that I am not the only one have issues imaging these devices. Note to all, when working in a healthcare environment, don't try to image these units in production. I tried to image 5 units on a GB network with Rapport, and all 5 eventually froze, rendering them useless.

HP seems to have a very solid imaging strategy with Altiris, I have had much more success since changing to HP XPembedded devices.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS