Terminal Server Slowness winlogon.exe, in the Terminal Services forum on BrianMadden.com
Brian Madden Logo
Your independent source for desktop virtualization, consumerization, and enterprise mobility management.

Terminal Server Slowness winlogon.exe, in the Terminal Services forum on BrianMadden.com

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Not Ranked
Points 265
Gabe Bazan Posted: Fri, Mar 21 2008 2:10 PM
Hello, I have been having some trouble with our 2003 terminal server standard 32bit. It has been slowing down from time to the poing that the server becomes unusable. We have had to reboot it a couple of times. What we have noticed is that while in the task manager we can see that winlogon.exe will jump up to the top process taking up 13% of the processor and this seems to always be in the task manager when we have had our server slow down. Is their any ideas of why the server just slows down and basically locks up? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Points 24,600
Hi,

How long do the delays last?

Do you have any "orphaned" csrss.exe processes in Task Manager (i.e. no other processes for session ID that csrss.exe is associated with)?

What service pack of W2K3 are you at?

Cheers,

Alan Osborne

President (MCSE, CCNA, VCP, CCA)

VCIT Consulting - Citrix/Terminal Services Remote Desktop Solutions for SMB

VCIT website My Blog

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Points 36,234
I would also look at the printer drivers that are being used on the server, as 3rd party printer drivers are the #1 reason terminal servers become unstable.

http://www.msterminalservices.org/articles/Windows-Terminal-Services-Printing.html

http://www.msterminalservices.org/articles/Managing-Printer-Drivers.html

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Remote Desktop Services
Systems Consultant
Quest Software, Desktop Virtualization Group
www.vWorkspace.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Points 180
Are you using Group Policy based folder redirection? depending on your patch levels you could see significant delays during logon.

Kelly Craig

Sales Engineer – Southwest Territory

Quest Software, Inc.

Provision Networks Division
desk 720.259.0487
cell 720.587.9879

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS