Switching to installation mode not necessary anymore?, in the Terminal Services forum on BrianMadden.com
Brian Madden Logo
Your independent source for desktop virtualization, consumerization, and enterprise mobility management.

Switching to installation mode not necessary anymore?, in the Terminal Services forum on BrianMadden.com

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Not Ranked
Points 110
TSuniversity Posted: Wed, Dec 5 2007 6:59 PM
Hello,

Is switching to installation mode not necessary anymore?
I was testing an install without switching to the installation mode but it opened up the
"after installation, please click next" window...

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Points 290
2003 recognizes well-known program names such as setup.exe and install.exe and puts the terminal server in install mode. It is a best practice to do most installs through Add/Remove Programs control panel, which puts the server in install mode.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Points 36,234
Patrick Rouse replied on Wed, Dec 5 2007 10:22 PM
If you're not scripting the user's settings with something like the Solution4 Framework, I'd recommend doing:

"change user /install" at the cmd prompt before installing the software

"change user /execute" at the cmd prompt after installing the software

Additionally, you should install from a console session, via mstsc /console or the physical console.

Patrick Rouse

Top 25 Contributor
Points 7,687
Hi,

Automatic install mode only kicks in if you install via the add/remove programs applet.

If you're not on the console (or RDP 5.2 /console switch) you will be running with lower privileges than a "true" console session. If you're not running in "install" mode, the installtion program may, if it uses %windir% instead of %systemroot%, install application compnents to the installer's %homedrive%%homepath%\Windows folder.

In the case of fonts this can be a really bad thing.

Paranoia is healthy and will guarantee things work as wanted. Patrick's advice is good.

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
Quest Software
Provision Networks Division

Top 10 Contributor
Points 48,811
Rick,

Don't mean to correct you, but Install mode also kicks in when the install application is called something like SETUP.EXE or INSTALL.EXE, under Server 2003 (as per Greg's post).

But, as Patrick pointed out, setting the mode manually is never a bad thing. I do it as a matter of course, simply out of habit now having worked with these environments for so long.

Rick, you are right, though... a little paranoia can be a good thing! :)

Why is it called "Common Sense"? It doesn't seem all that common!

Top 10 Contributor
Points 36,234
I use the cmd line utilities simply because I don't want Windows deciding these things for me, and sometimes I string several installations together while in Install Mode, and I use the "change user /query" cmd to verify that I'm still in Install Mode.

Patrick Rouse

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Points 7,687
Hi Dan,

I wasn't exactly right or wrong.

Provided the installer program uses the windows installer it will automatically kick in TS install mode. But it's got nothing to do with the name of the installer program. An installer called setup.exe etc, if it doesn't use the windows installer will not invoke install mode.

It's not safe to assume that any instance of setup.exe will run in install mode because it doesn't. Paranoia is more than good, it guarantees a consistent install environment.

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
Quest Software
Provision Networks Division

Top 10 Contributor
Points 48,811
Thanks, Rick. I guess I stand, at least partially, corrected! :)

Why is it called "Common Sense"? It doesn't seem all that common!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS