Lauching IE published application, in the x64 Terminal Server / Citrix forum on BrianMadden.com
Brian Madden Logo
Your independent source for desktop virtualization, consumerization, and enterprise mobility management.

Lauching IE published application, in the x64 Terminal Server / Citrix forum on BrianMadden.com

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 28 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Points 285
yunny posted on Mon, Aug 16 2010 7:01 AM

Hi

I've tried to find a similar question on this forum but haven't managed to.  Please excuse me if it's been posted before.

I published IE through a vbscript which works perfectly well on W2K3 32 bit windows server, IE8 with Citrix.   The vbscript launches the application directly on the server, and also via the users's Citrix web front end.

Set objExplorer = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
objExplorer.Navigate http://www.google.com
objExplorer.ToolBar = 0
objExplorer.StatusBar = 0
objExplorer.Width = 1024
objExplorer.Height = 768
objExplorer.Left = 0
objExplorer.Top = 0
objExplorer.Visible = 1

I have published exactly the same batch file, which runs vb script launching IE, on W2K8, 64 bit, IE8.  The vbscript launches the application directly on the server without problem.  But, via the user's citrix web front end, the IE window flashes up for a second and then disappears.   It looks like the 64 bit version of IE is called regardless of whether the vbscript is run on the server or via Citrix front end.

I am using the vbscript above because this is for external clients and we don't want them to have access to internet options. 

I've spent weeks trawling through Google and haven't managed to find the answer, though I have found that other people have had the same issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

kind regards

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Not Ranked
Points 285
yunny replied on Tue, Sep 14 2010 6:45 AM

Hello

Thanks for your replies which I have now tried out.  Unfortunately still same thing is happening.

I was surprised that "pause" didn't work. It worked on the server, but again via Citrix web front end it closed immediately.

I also tried leaving out the .cmd but still same thing happened. I do appreciate these suggestions!

thanks

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Points 270

Hi,

Is .NET 1.1 installed on the server that runs the Web Interface ?

Bruno

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Points 120
phycus replied on Tue, Sep 14 2010 8:28 AM

So there is no difference in the accounts you used i.e. published desktop where it works and published app where it doesn't both session using the same user account?

Have you run process monitor on the server then connected to the published app?  Just filter for iexplore.exe and see what that throws up.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Points 285
yunny replied on Tue, Sep 14 2010 8:50 AM

Hi

Yes the user logged into the server is my own logon, which I use for front end as well. 

We are not using .NET 1.1 but we can do if it might help.

Do you mean procexp?

kind regards

Not Ranked
Points 270

No ! .NET 1.1 will *NOT* help. The symptoms you're describing are very similar to the ones obtained when .NET 1.1 is installed on the web server : Apps work under TS or the console using a specific account and not thru the Citrix Web interface using the same account. In this case, the application start and close immediately without launching the ICA stuff.

Your problem seems to take place deeper in the system, prior to the step "Running the CMD file" as the integrated command PAUSE failed. This means that even the call to a new command interpreter is not successful.

Have you tried to build a new web server from scratch ?

Bruno

Not Ranked
Points 285
yunny replied on Tue, Sep 14 2010 10:55 AM

Hi

Thanks for all your help.

I was wondering if anybody has the facility to just test my scripts from citrix front end using Citrix server:

Windows 2008, (if possible Release 1, SP2)

64 bit

I have found another thread, where someone had a similar problem but they did not get this resolved, they used kiosk mode instead. Kiosk mode isn't suitable for us.

http://forums.citrix.com/message.jspa?messageID=1416865

Also I've tried to get this rewritten and compiled as an EXE, 32 bit and 64 bit, to see if the problem is the combination of w2k8/64 bit/citrix/vbscript.  Same thing happened.  We tried launching IE and then a page which displays IE as we wish, but it looked untidy to use for client's, required download of active X.  I just thought a lot of people would have had this problem, or else a lot of people are easily using this type of script, I'm not sure which!

I was looking at this as a general problem that someone else must have come across, but may be it is a server issue.

Not Ranked
Points 270

Yunny,

I've tested your scripts on W2K8 R2 and they work fine. I can't test on a R1. Sorry.

Bruno

Not Ranked
Points 270

Have you tried this:

http://community.citrix.com/display/xa/Citrix+App+Viewer

I found this while looking for Citrix Receiver for Android...

Not Ranked
Points 285
yunny replied on Wed, Oct 6 2010 10:23 AM

Thanks for all your help and ideas.  I tried again as follows with pause, and it worked.  We have decided to leave it with "pause" and hide this using runh.exe.

published application

c:\tdp\bin\runh.exe  c:\tdp\bin\test.bat

test.bat:

start /wait %systemroot%\SysWow64\wscript.exe fm01.vbs
pause

vbs

As previous

Someone is testing this and no problems so far.

Not Ranked
Points 285
yunny replied on Tue, May 17 2011 4:59 AM

I thought the issue had been resolved but it hadn't.  Our script works without problem on XenApp6 with W2K8 R2. 

So we are still using a 2003 server with xenapp5 on our older Xenapp5 W2K8 R1 system to get round this.

Not Ranked
Points 5

Did you try publishing it as an installed application but running it with the /k option to enable kiosk mode?

c:\program files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe -k "https://www.google.com/"

This will launch it as a kiosk mode, full screen, without even an address bar. You can remove other options on it by editing local group policy.

Not Ranked
Points 10

here are millions of people trying to make a blog and trying even harder to get it noticed.Men's Franklin Marshall Hoodies Sweatshirts   When making a good blog it is all about the post and the content.  Spending too much time on the look and the ads is just going to leave you in the white space of Google with one big headache.Franklin Marshall Women's

Not Ranked
Points 5

Hi Yunny,

Its very old thread, but still usefull for me , as I am in the same situation as you were... we are migrating our application from window2003 terminal server to Wind2k8 64 bit terminal server...

we are using vbs to start the application in Internet explorer, same as your problem, application is starting and disappearing when trying to launch in citrix mode.

I just want to know what exactly you have done to fix the issue... I think now you should have very good experience, that might be can help me a lot.

Thanks in Advance

ashwani

Not Ranked
Points 5

Hi,

if you call the atttributs in this order it works:

Set objExplorer = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")

objExplorer.ToolBar = 0
objExplorer.StatusBar = 0
objExplorer.Width = 1024
objExplorer.Height = 768
objExplorer.Left = 0
objExplorer.Top = 0
objExplorer.Visible = 1

objExplorer.Navigate http://www.google.com

• Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS