Citrix logon not progressing!, in the Citrix XenApp / Presentation Server forum on BrianMadden.com
Brian Madden Logo
Your independent source for desktop virtualization, consumerization, and enterprise mobility management.

Citrix logon not progressing!, in the Citrix XenApp / Presentation Server forum on BrianMadden.com

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 35 Replies | 0 Followers

Not Ranked
Points 60
mitchel posted on Fri, Feb 4 2005 5:58 PM
Ok, first off, perhaps it's just me, but dealing with installing citrix has been a nightmare.

Let me describe our situation, we have one server installed with citrix metaframe presentation server. Everything was running find until (i assume) our 120 day eval of terminal services expired. Basically we couldn't use the system, no web access, no remote desktop. We purchased 5 TSCAL for the server and activated them...it seems though that when clients attempt to connect to our server they are being greeted with "temporary licenses" which had expired previously, instead of grabbing a license from the ones installed on the system. I installed the licenses in per client method (which I assumed is the best?).

Now when logging in to the server we get much more progress, except for the issue that the login progress stops at "Running logon scripts" and progresses nowhere from that point. Remote deskop however does work now.

I'm not sure where to go from here, any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help,
Mitchel
  • | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Points 34,180
Error 5 is an "Access is denied" error. It appears the user is missing some NTFS rights somewhere. I would temporarily make them an administrator on the server to see if it fixes the issue. Other than that you'd need to have them logon while running FileMon/RegMon to look for the permissions failures or enable File/Object failure auditing.

Shawn

http://www.shawnbass.com

Attend my "Unofficial" 5-day Citrix Master Class.  http://www.shawnbass.com/training.aspx

Top 50 Contributor
Points 5,655
error 5 access denied for me was a failed service...check all your services to make sure they are running. the last time I had this it was a perms issue with either network service or local service accounts.
Guest replied on Wed, Mar 9 2005 2:35 PM
Alright, the user is me and I'm a domain admin. I did a little more testing. I don't have a logon script, but created a test one and it runs and finishes. It is then followed up by the usrlogon.cmd and that finishes and then it hangs.

All services appear to be started and running without error.

Anymore ideas?
Top 50 Contributor
Points 5,655
teh domain admin status wouldn't matter if your session is using networkservice or localservice. did you check all your services?
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Points 5,655
sorry - missed that you had checked that.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Points 5,655
check your dns client service and see what account it uses , probably networkservice. then check event log to see if networkservice has added any events during your logon
Guest replied on Wed, Mar 9 2005 3:51 PM
Yes, it is networkservice. The only mention of the userID is in the security log and that is just a successful logon.

I've been looking into this message I'm getting in my debug log: ImpersonateUser: Failed to impersonate user with 5. There isn't much on it, but it's the only real error in there.

Thanks everyone for the help so far.
Josh
Top 50 Contributor
Points 6,864
We're troubleshooting this exact problem this week as well. A new profile worked for some users but not all. The only thread I could find was:
http://support.citrix.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=256010&fromSearchPage=trueð¾ Š

Per the thread, renaming statui.dll worked for someone else. I'm waiting to hear back from a user here if it fixes it for him. It doesn't appear that renaming this dll causes any harm but I certainly can't say that for sure.

Also note, per the thread, make sure HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\AppSetup is a REG_SZ versus REG_EXPAND_SZ. Also not the last paragraph regarding True Control Template - if you're using it w/ your GP.

My 2 cents...
Katie
Top 50 Contributor
Points 6,864
Ok, renaming that dll didn't work for me. It just prevented the status remarks of the client logon, which is what that dll is responsible for. Let me know if you have luck with other solns and I'll do the same.
Thanks,
Katie
Top 50 Contributor
Points 5,655
are you sure usrlogon.cmd finished? put a pause at the last line just to be sure.
also check this:
%TEMP%\getpaths.cmd still exists in User's temp folder after logon

also, are you exluding any folders besides the default, and are you using folder redirection?

Guest replied on Wed, Mar 9 2005 4:41 PM
Katie,
You are a god. Thank you so much. That link to the discussion on the Citrix forums looks like it had the fix that worked for me. Specifically:

In the Registry [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon] there is a wrong value for AppSetup
The right value should be

CtxHide.exe UsrLogon.Cmd,cmstart.exe

Thanks to you and everyone else for their help.
Josh
Guest replied on Wed, Mar 9 2005 4:47 PM
One more thing to add. In researching "ImpersonateUser: Failed to impersonate user with 5." error, I came across this forum post: http://www.mcse.ms/archive44-2004-3-502433.html
At the bottom it makes a reference to an AD permissions issue. I made the change and it didn't fix my problem, but maybe it's a combination of the above and this.
Josh
Top 50 Contributor
Points 6,864
Oh sweet, glad it's working for you, Josh! [:D]

Now if I could just get it working in our environment....[&:]
Top 50 Contributor
Points 6,864
Ok, I just got it working, phew! I tried creating a new home directory for the user and it worked. For some reason a new profile on the Citrix server didn't work for this particular user as it had for others, but the new home drive/fresh AD profile worked.

Woo hoo!
Guest replied on Wed, Mar 9 2005 6:46 PM
Just a side note, regarding my last post. renaming the Windows folder in the home directory is sufficient (versus creating an entirely new home folder.)
Cheers,
Page 2 of 3 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS