Dedicated paging disk, in the Performance Tuning / Server Sizing forum on BrianMadden.com
Brian Madden Logo
Your independent source for desktop virtualization, consumerization, and enterprise mobility management.

Dedicated paging disk, in the Performance Tuning / Server Sizing forum on BrianMadden.com

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Guest Posted: Sat, Nov 13 2004 9:39 PM
I have dedicated a separate disk for paging, and read that using a fat partition will be faster than ntfs. Does anybody know if there would be any benefit in formatting the fat partition with sectors the same size as pages? i.e. 4k
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Points 615
It might be true, it might not, I sincerely doubt that you will ever note any difference anyhow. If you have that amount of paging going on that a proper RAID system can't take care of it then you have other problems. If your apps are disk I/O intensive spend some money on a good hw raid and use a raid 10. Also FAT causes much more fragmentation so you would have to defrag the disks all the time.
Apart from that you have the security issue...

regards Pelle
Top 10 Contributor
Points 26,881
I have dedicated a separate disk for paging

Is this a separate physical disk on a separate controller? If you are really only carving out another partition on the same logical disk (array), then you will not gain anything.
Mike Burke
http://www.datadr.net
Top 50 Contributor
Points 3,435
With today’s servers (the last 4 years or so) you shouldn't need a separate disk for paging.

If you are using old servers or very disk intensive applications you may want to look at a solid-state disk drive like Platypus Technology.

I did some research on these about 5 years ago and found that we could double the number of users per server by putting the paging file on the Platypus drive. This was done on Compaq 3000's with dual PII 300's. At the time it was cheaper to replace the servers than to purchase the drive. Maybe things have changed.
Top 50 Contributor
Points 3,910
[:-] 3 of America's Top Universities and Scientist are working on completion " Proof of Concept "
of ferroelectric materials used in the patented UV Atomic holographic Optical Storage Disk Drive.
So I am patient [:)]
Izaak S
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS