How to add a printer for all users on a server, in the Citrix XenApp / Presentation Server forum on BrianMadden.com
Brian Madden Logo
Your independent source for desktop virtualization, consumerization, and enterprise mobility management.

How to add a printer for all users on a server, in the Citrix XenApp / Presentation Server forum on BrianMadden.com

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Points 2,627
jllotz1 posted on Tue, Jan 29 2008 9:12 AM
I'm sure this is simple, but...
How do I add a printer to a PS 4.0, Server 2003 server so that everyone who logs on to that server can print to the printer?
  • | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Points 36,234
Simplest method for one Citrix Server is to add the printer as a local TCP/IP Printer, i.e. Printers Control Panel -> Add a new printer -> Local Printer -> Add a new Port -> TCP/IP -> Enter IP Address of the printer -> Select the driver...

More manageable method if supporting multiple Citrix Servers, of if not-all users will always need access to the printer would be to add the printer via Citrix Session Printer Policy, i.e. import a netowork print server, install the printer drivers, then assign via Citrix Policy.

3rd party products exist that would allow you to do the latter w/o installing the printer drivers on the Terminal Server/Citrix Server.

Patrick Rouse

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Points 2,589
My solution is probably not as elegant as using policies but we do the following. In our farm of four servers, our primary file server also serves as a print server for all of our physical print devices. We setup the standard TCP/IP Port on the print server and then install the driver. We then share the printer on the network. Then on the Citrix servers we setup a new local port which points back to the shared printer on the print server.

That way the spooler for the printer is on the print server and not taking up resources on the Citrix server.

For ease of administration we make sure that the name for the ports and the printer share name are exactly the same.

We did this in our old 1.8 farm and it has worked fine in our PS4.0 farm as well.
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS