Citrix sessions disconnect randomly, in the Citrix XenApp / Presentation Server forum on BrianMadden.com
Brian Madden Logo
Your independent source for desktop virtualization, consumerization, and enterprise mobility management.

Citrix sessions disconnect randomly, in the Citrix XenApp / Presentation Server forum on BrianMadden.com

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Points 1,500
belcom posted on Wed, Apr 25 2007 1:02 PM
I have a farm of 3 W2K3 SP1 Servers running PS4.0 in a central location in Toronto. Also we have 7 branches in different cities. We have implemented an MPLS network with a single E100 fiber link in the central location and 4mb DSL lines in each branch. Each branch has a Cisco 1841 router and we are using a Cisco 2821 in Toronto.

Now the problem... remote users complain that they randomly get kicked off Citrix all the time. One time it may last 15 seconds and another time it can go fine for couple hours. And it happens a lot during the day. I have checked each router to see if there's any kind of errors and it seems there is nothing. My local office users are doing just fine and never complain about disconnections.

What's the best way to locate the problem?
  • | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Points 2,170
Joe C replied on Wed, Apr 25 2007 1:28 PM
[quote=Vlad Krinitsyn]I have a farm of 3 W2K3 SP1 Servers running PS4.0 in a central location in Toronto. Also we have 7 branches in different cities. We have implemented an MPLS network with a single E100 fiber link in the central location and 4mb DSL lines in each branch. Each branch has a Cisco 1841 router and we are using a Cisco 2821 in Toronto.

Now the problem... remote users complain that they randomly get kicked off Citrix all the time. One time it may last 15 seconds and another time it can go fine for couple hours. And it happens a lot during the day. I have checked each router to see if there's any kind of errors and it seems there is nothing. My local office users are doing just fine and never complain about disconnections.

[/quote]

I had this same thing happening with our MPLS. Are you using Web Interface? I had to switch them from WI to PNAgent or Program Neighborhood so that they could come straight down the pipe instead of using the internet. Everything has been running fine for 6 months since I switched it.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Points 88,220
Can you explain wha tyou mean by you switched from WI to PNA/PN because they didn't go over the internet. that really makes no sense especially considering that PNA requires WI to actually function.

[quote=Joe Chittick][quote=Vlad Krinitsyn]I have a farm of 3 W2K3 SP1 Servers running PS4.0 in a central location in Toronto. Also we have 7 branches in different cities. We have implemented an MPLS network with a single E100 fiber link in the central location and 4mb DSL lines in each branch. Each branch has a Cisco 1841 router and we are using a Cisco 2821 in Toronto.

[/quote]

I had this same thing happening with our MPLS. Are you using Web Interface? I had to switch them from WI to PNAgent or Program Neighborhood so that they could come straight down the pipe instead of using the internet. Everything has been running fine for 6 months since I switched it.[/quote]
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Points 2,170
Joe C replied on Thu, Apr 26 2007 8:54 AM
[quote=Jeff Pitsch]Can you explain wha tyou mean by you switched from WI to PNA/PN because they didn't go over the internet. that really makes no sense especially considering that PNA requires WI to actually function.
[/quote]

I probably worded that wrong. They were going out to the external WI site 66.xxx.xxx.xxx(thats how they did it from home). I set the agent to point to the internal address 172.xxx.xxx.xxx.
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Points 25
I'm on an early version of MF XPe and use a farm but not the web. But when my license database was not being backed up (SQL Server) and the transaction log got too large, I had random disconnects.
Top 200 Contributor
Points 1,500
belcom replied on Fri, Apr 27 2007 9:41 AM
[quote=Joe Chittick]
I had this same thing happening with our MPLS. Are you using Web Interface? I had to switch them from WI to PNAgent or Program Neighborhood so that they could come straight down the pipe instead of using the internet. Everything has been running fine for 6 months since I switched it.
[/quote]

I have Linux based IGEL thin clients and they run PNAgent. They're also going over the MPLS.
Not Ranked
Points 25
I currently (9/1/07) have one building out of 40 that have frequent disconnects. I put a level 2 switch in the building and noticed that all pc connections suffer from runt packets. This usually represents crosstalk or other interference on the physical cabling. The next step is to replace one line to get a clean signal.

I have had other issues with disconnecting, so I believe it has multiple causes.
Top 10 Contributor
Points 24,605
Hi,

You are going to have to start at layer 1-3 first to eliminate network infrastructure issues first as most network performance issues are infrastructure related IMHO.

Have a look at your router interface stats for the MPLS connection on each router and make sure you aren't getting any CRC errors, resets, etc. Also, make sure all your speed/duplex settings are correct. Perform some diagnostic testing as well and make sure that you aren't having issues at layer 3 (packet loss, traceroute, MTU issues, etc)

If all checks out at the network level, you should install this utility on your CPS servers:

http://www.citrix4ge.de/ctxsdk/smcc.htm

This utility will give you better insight into what's going on with user sessions.

Cheers,

Alan Osborne

President (MCSE, CCNA, VCP, CCA)

VCIT Consulting - Citrix/Terminal Services Remote Desktop Solutions for SMB

VCIT website My Blog

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS