The Teradici PC-over-IP demo kit: a video of the unboxing, installation, and first impressions - Videos - BrianMadden.com
Videos's Blog

Past Videos

Written on Apr 03 2009
Filed under:

Yesterday's Brian Madden TV show featured a segment where I unboxed and setup a Teradici PC-over-IP test kit. Unfortunately I had to trim that recorded segment down to about seven minutes to fit in the show. This video is the unedited version of my complete hands-on Teradici experience, including:

• A quick overview of my current desktop computer. (Acer desktop, dual 1920x1200 displays, Windows 7.)
  • Unboxing of the Teradici "slap shot" evalation kit
  • Installation of the PCI-E remote host card
  • The "migration" of my desk to the datacenter
  • A tour of the Devon IT PC-over-IP thin client "portal"
  • Hooking up the thin client
  • Connecting to the remote workstation
  • Graphics and video performance across the dual diplays
  • Audio issues with Windows 7
  • Client-side USB device intergration
  • CPU usage

This Teradici stuff is kind of cool. You can literally be up and running in under five minutes. This whole video is only about 17 minutes and covers everything in real time with no editing.

And a big thanks to TechTarget program manager Molly Toffey who ran the camera for this video. She recently transferred to our San Francisco office from our Boston office, so she was too green to know to ignore my email "Does anyone want to stay late tonight?"

Comments

rahvintzu wrote re: The Teradici PC-over-IP demo kit: a video of the unboxing, installation, and first impressions
on Fri, Apr 3 2009 6:42 PM Link To This Comment

Thought I should comment as no one else did.

It was interesting seeing the card side of things and performance.

I was always curios with Dells teradici solution in this space as I have around 40 machines that are used for 3d rendering only (rhino, autocad, 3dmax etc....)

Dell teradici solution seems to make alot of sense when:

A) Client space is at a premium.

B) The local client environment isnt suitable.... think industrial space.... alot of dust etc.

C) You really need the workload in the server room (security, central management).

Unless you had a strategic reason to do so.

For the price i think u still cant go past normal fat clients.

Ron Kuper wrote re: The Teradici PC-over-IP demo kit: a video of the unboxing, installation, and first impressions
on Fri, Apr 3 2009 8:49 PM Link To This Comment

What's the price?

Seeing that made me think of using Teradici at home instead of an HTPC!

That way I would have only one computer to manage, upgrade, etc…

However, just how many organizations can afford putting one-to-one desktops on their datacenters?

I guess this is only good for these special cases when you need to provide high rate 3D applications such as AutoCAD, 3DStudio, etc. to users remotely. But then again, only a company who is fanatical about their SBC policy is going to put on the effort instead of just using regular LOCAL PC's for these use cases.

That will change when Teradici's/VMWare's software solution is out but then what will be the differences between it and existing software based protocols such as ICA? Unless they will come out with a revolutionary compressing low-latency algorithm that’s going to rock our world my guess it – not much!

For software based protocol it's all down to User Experience vs. CPU/Network load. (Where, in my opinion, most use cases in most enterprises only need basic user experience.)

Dan Shappir wrote re: The Teradici PC-over-IP demo kit: a video of the unboxing, installation, and first impressions
on Sun, Apr 5 2009 11:22 AM Link To This Comment

@rahvintzu

> One of things that turned me off ... was the one to one relationship between end points.

All you need to overcome this limitation is a Connection Broker that supports PC-over-IP. Ericom PowerTerm WebConnect is such a connection broker:

www.ericom.com/pcoip.asp

PowerTerm WebConnect also allows you to connect to the host using RDP in case you need access from an end-point that is not PC-over-IP enabled.

Brian Madden wrote re: The Teradici PC-over-IP demo kit: a video of the unboxing, installation, and first impressions
on Mon, Apr 6 2009 7:28 AM Link To This Comment

@Dan, I don't understand how a connection broker fixes the one-to-one complaint? One user per one piece of hardware. Period. If I have a connection broker, sure, I can have a back-end pool of machines to share with a pool of users. But when an actual user connects, it's one user per machine.

on Mon, Apr 6 2009 10:07 AM Link To This Comment

@Brian,

You are absolutely correct. I had assumed rahvintzu was referring to the ability to dynamically assign hosts from a pool to end-point devices.

Brian McGee wrote re: The Teradici PC-over-IP demo kit: a video of the unboxing, installation, and first impressions
on Mon, Apr 6 2009 1:16 PM Link To This Comment

Two questions:

You indicate in the video that you only use the nic on the Teradici card.  Does it present as a useable network interface in the OS (like the audio)?

Although I've not heard any specifics, it would make sence that if VMWare is working on it, they are trying to integrate this into the hypervisor.  Have you heard anything on this?

Matt Lesak wrote re: The Teradici PC-over-IP demo kit: a video of the unboxing, installation, and first impressions
on Mon, May 18 2009 9:11 PM Link To This Comment

Interesting solution and nice job with the quick overview.  BTW, I love the Browns pennant hanging in your cube!

sojthumper wrote re: The Teradici PC-over-IP demo kit: a video of the unboxing, installation, and first impressions
on Thu, Jun 25 2009 8:44 AM Link To This Comment

Sounds like a ball ache installing all this hardware and how much does it cost? It would appear that NComputing have a better solution.

Gauss wrote re: The Teradici PC-over-IP demo kit: a video of the unboxing, installation, and first impressions
on Thu, Sep 3 2009 2:33 AM Link To This Comment

Well, I'm really looking into options as to set something like a game center, not exactly cad terminals. So far I think it's best to get the cheapest hardware you can find yet powerful enough.

I have some questions about this product:

- How's the image quality? I saw it's performance up to some point on this video, not 3D performance, but let me guess, for gaming the latency it's going to hurt a lot the user experience since the latency should be less than for a CAD designer, so maybe the image quality should be discarded already.

- Can I use more of this card interfaces on the same system? I'm guessing I would need an extra video card for each interface, but is it possible? Would be cool a Core i7 system with 2 different sessions at the same time while both execute 3D games. Now let me guess... the network switch should be also really good.

- Can I use the host computer at the same time while someone else is using the terminal? Would be similar than the previous question. Is it possible let's say with 2 video cards? One for the user at the host computer and the other for the terminal user.

I'm actually thinking the best solution for this particular thing would be a really good software who actually splits smartly resources as they are used but with the option to split video cards for different logged users and USB interfaces such as keyboards and mice... I think I'll stick to looking at cheap real computers.

Larry@lkaufman.com wrote re: The Teradici PC-over-IP demo kit: a video of the unboxing, installation, and first impressions
on Wed, Jan 27 2010 2:28 PM Link To This Comment

Does anyone have experience using this technology to run OpenGL applications

Trackbacks

The Teradici PC-over-IP demo kit « DeinosCloud’s Blog wrote The Teradici PC-over-IP demo kit « DeinosCloud’s Blog
on Wed, Apr 29 2009 11:59 AM

Pingback from  The Teradici PC-over-IP demo kit «  DeinosCloud’s Blog

VMware View 4.0 and Wyse P20 | VMGuru.nl - I choose (a virtual) life! wrote VMware View 4.0 and Wyse P20 | VMGuru.nl - I choose (a virtual) life!
on Tue, Sep 22 2009 11:30 AM

Pingback from  VMware View 4.0 and Wyse P20 | VMGuru.nl - I choose (a virtual) life!