VMworld 2008 keynote updates - Michael Keen - BrianMadden.com

VMworld 2008 keynote updates

Written on Sep 16 2008
Filed under:

by Michael Keen

Good morning from VMWorld everyone.. I'm in the press workroom getting ready to head over to the General Session.  I wanted to let you all know that I'll be posting updates live here and on Twitter (follow me at c1tr1xguru).  I'm very excited to hear more about the vData Center OS, the cloud initiatives, etc.  Keep checking and refreshing this page so that you get the most up-to-date info as I post it up.

Talk to you again soon.

Well folks, my apologies for the delay.  There were no tables for the press or Internet access.  So live updates were not possible.

Ok, so Paul said "cloud" over 35 times.  Surprising, not really?  He kicks off with a little "history" lesson of how the virtualization technology came to be where it is today.  Nice for those that are new to the technology.

The key things coming out of the keynote were these:

• cloud is going to be a big fundamental change.  Obviously
  • flexible, agile infrastructure.  What have I been saying all along.  Nothing new here, but it's good to see that companies are starting to come around to this "flexible IT"
  • Announcement of the new Intel Xeon 7400 series chipsets.  Now the ability to vMotion between chipsets has finally become a reality.
  • Cisco and their enhanced mobility and simpler mgmt with virtual aware networks.  Cool
  • vStorage:  site recovery across storage vendors.  Nothing new, but good to see that this has finally seen the sunlight.

It's great to see that VMW is moving to bring all the separate products, like Lab Manager, Stage Manager, and others into one main management console called App Manager.

I'll be posting up more, but it's time to get to some sessions.  Keep checking the tweets.  Tomorrow is Stephen Harrod's keynote laying out a technology roadmap.

What do you guys want to see or hear about?  Let me know.  Send me an email, text message, Twitter direct message...I'm available folks.

Comments

Guest wrote Analysis
on Tue, Sep 16 2008 11:47 AM Link To This Comment
We need to see some analysis. What do all the announcements mean in the grand scheme of things... How do they change the competitive landscape
Guest wrote Curious
on Tue, Sep 16 2008 12:01 PM Link To This Comment
Curious to know how many of these new features VMware has introduced will be included in the existing products ESX/VirtualCenter/etc. or if they will apart of neww separate offerings/addons that must be licensed separately. New features and capabilities are great, but having to figure what you need, how to license it, and how much that will cost is always a difficult task for a company. Would be wonderful if they included it all for one price, keep dreaming :)
Michael Keen wrote Re: Analysis
on Tue, Sep 16 2008 1:11 PM Link To This Comment

Perfect.  This is what I am working on.  The show floor is busy and trying to get the people to actually take some good quality time to sit down and talk is tough right now.  Look for this coming soon.

Thanks for the feedback

Michael Keen wrote Re: Curious
on Tue, Sep 16 2008 1:12 PM Link To This Comment

Great stuff.  Be looking for this analysis coming soon.

Thanks folks...keep it coming.

Guest wrote Is VMWare now only for the top 5%?
on Tue, Sep 16 2008 2:58 PM Link To This Comment
Judging from the announcements so far (Cloud, multi-tier VClient, etc), Vmware is cleraly abandoning the SMB and focusing on high-end deals. What is your take on that?
Michael Keen wrote Re: Is VMWare now only for the top 5%?
on Tue, Sep 16 2008 3:20 PM Link To This Comment
you know you raise a good point.  I think it may seem like that at the beginning, but you won't be finding a lot of very large enterprises moving to the cloud for a lot of their mission critical apps or app workloads.  It's just too much.  Now where I do SMB being able to move to that computing model easier than the large guys.  I'm going to be very curious to see how VMW prices and bundles this stuff in VI4.0.  We saw the Beehive product at work this morning, but I think there are some things about that demo that had me thinking.  So you can "burst" to the cloud to handle spikes in transactional time of an app, ok cool.  But what about the backend database?  Are they telling us they are going to run that heavy load across the WAN.  I guess this is where WANScaler would come in handy.
Guest wrote Re: Is VMWare now only for the top 5%?
on Tue, Sep 16 2008 3:28 PM Link To This Comment
I am curious, what is your take from VMWorld so far, how will Vmware position itself against new entrants mainly Microsoft and Citrix? So far, have you been able to get a glimpse of their competitive / market penetration strategy?
Sean Bober wrote Potentially Stupid Question...
on Tue, Sep 16 2008 3:52 PM Link To This Comment

Where do we find the videos that you were tweeting about?

Thanks,

Sean

Guest wrote Re: Is VMWare now only for the top 5%?
on Tue, Sep 16 2008 4:18 PM Link To This Comment
Are you serious? do you believe SMB customers will pay for all the pieces required to complete the VMware puzzle? I am a reseller who works with SMB... I honestly do not believe what vmware offers right now will fit with the SMB.
Michael Keen wrote Re: Potentially Stupid Question...
on Tue, Sep 16 2008 4:18 PM Link To This Comment
not a stupid question.  The networks here SUCK.  I'll do my best, but man it's killing me not being able to put this stuff up.
Michael Keen wrote Re: Is VMWare now only for the top 5%?
on Tue, Sep 16 2008 4:39 PM Link To This Comment
yes I do actually.  But like I said earlier, it comes down to how VMW prices this.  If they go the way I think and others think the way they will go is to price it all together like XenApp Platinum.  What you call this is 'value innovation'  Providing more value for less money.  It's not a crazy idea, it actually works.  As the old saying goes, "a rising tide floats all boats".  By giving the customer more product value for a "somewhat" lower price will be the best move VMW could make.