I'm leaving the Citrix CTP program, but all is well and I still like Citrix - Brian Madden - BrianMadden.com

I'm leaving the Citrix CTP program, but all is well and I still like Citrix

Written on Jul 09 2013
Filed under: ,

I am no longer a Citrix CTP. I decided not to re-apply for the program (which renews each July 1) this year. Ordinarily I wouldn't post something like this as a news item, but since I left the Microsoft MVP program in such a spectacular way last year because I was pissed at them, I figured that I'd let everyone know here that I'm not upset with Citrix or the CTP program. Quite the opposite, actually, as the Citrix CTP program is very well run and valuable for those who are in it.

So why am I leaving the program? My role in the industry has changed, and having access to all of Citrix's NDA and roadmap information was making it difficult for me to do my job. So instead I'm transitioning to Citrix's "press" program where I won't have access to any NDA information. Yay!

This is part of a broader push to get away from having access to NDA information in general. As a blogger / industry watcher / news sharer / etc., having access to NDA information stinks because I always have to think about what I'm "allowed" to mention or refer to and what I'm not. And if my job is to write stories and give speeches about our industry, then NDA conversations are a waste of time. If I can't write or talk about our conversation, then why are we talking? Just save it for when the news is announced.

So that's that. It's crazy to see how the CTP program has grown since our first meeting after BriForum 2006 in Washington DC. Some day I'll share the whole saga of how the program began, going back to the 2004 article that Ron Oglesby and I first wrote suggesting Citrix should become more community focused. (Let the record show that after many false starts, the guy at Citrix who actually made the program happen was Sumit Dhawan—their current VP of Mobile)—back when he was doing MetaFrame product marketing in Ft. Lauderdale.

Comments

Steve Greenberg wrote re: I'm leaving the Citrix CTP program, but all is well and I still like Citrix
on Mon, Jul 8 2013 11:16 PM Link To This Comment

Brian,

You will be missed in the meetings, but it's great that you are moving forward in your analyst/media role and that this is a positive thing.

See you in Chicago! (yeah, I tried to take the year off and didn't submit a preso, but apparently cant stay away from attending!)

Jim Moyle wrote re: I'm leaving the Citrix CTP program, but all is well and I still like Citrix
on Tue, Jul 9 2013 8:23 AM Link To This Comment

I think this is a good move Brian, see you in Chicago!

Ron Oglesby wrote re: I'm leaving the Citrix CTP program, but all is well and I still like Citrix
on Tue, Jul 9 2013 11:35 PM Link To This Comment

You'll live. I still love Citrix, but I left when they got butt hurt because they bought Ringcube and I worked for Unidesk and didn't feel like dealing with their hurt butt (they did things like ask if I would leave the meeting during certain sessions)... Whatever.

tko wrote re: I'm leaving the Citrix CTP program, but all is well and I still like Citrix
on Wed, Jul 10 2013 12:09 PM Link To This Comment

Thank you all- Ron, Brian and Sumit for your work toward creating a solid citrix & virt. community- cheers to ya

-N Timothy Aho

Full Sail Consulting

Warren Simondson wrote re: I'm leaving the Citrix CTP program, but all is well and I still like Citrix
on Thu, Jul 11 2013 3:59 PM Link To This Comment

Hi Brian

Many people will never know how you added so much to the greatest community program in existence - the CTP group. So now everyone can be enriched with your spirit and knowledge and attend Briforum and hear how it really is from a 100% non NDA perspective. Thanks for everything you have done to date and it will an amazing future to watch in the world of Brian Madden.

appdetective wrote re: I'm leaving the Citrix CTP program, but all is well and I still like Citrix
on Wed, Jul 17 2013 5:11 PM Link To This Comment

@Ron If Citrix prevented you from attending certain session because you work for Unidesk then:

1) They don't understand Unidesk and how much superior it is to RingCube.

2) Do they treat Benny T the same since AppSense competes with them in Data and Mobile?

on Mon, Jul 22 2013 9:31 AM Link To This Comment

@ AppDetective

Yeah, I think they were confused a bit. They had just bought Ringcube, then had an internal project running internally on app layering, etc.

They were fine asking me some thoughts on, but there were lots of emails back and forth on how I worked for a "competitor" and maybe I could step out of the room for certain sessions.... Like XenDesktop sessions.

Just wasnt worth it at that point. So i made it easy on them.  Not a biggie, but AppSense is was also considered friendly and a big partner. Unidesk was doing this strange thing that may compete... people fear that which they dont understand.