Citrix prototypes Firefox browser extension for Presentation Server - Brian Madden - BrianMadden.com

Citrix prototypes Firefox browser extension for Presentation Server

Written on Jul 11 2006 20,466 views, 16 comments

Citrix has just released a prototype of a Firefox browser extension that shows Presentation Server published apps via a Firefox toolbar or sidebar. I grabbed a screenshot that highlights the toolbar. Disregard the Google search of me trying to figure out how to do a screenshot on a Mac. :)

You can configure the toolbar to access multiple server farms. These farms are exposed to the user via a dropdown box (the "testdrive" farm in the screenshot). You can configure the toolbar for your own farms by changing its properties just like any Firefox extension. (Firefox | Tools menu | Extensions | Highlight "Citrix Toolbar and Sidebar" | Preferences button). You can also click the "edit farms" icon to the left of the farm list drop-down box.

This toolbar is pretty cool. It accepts your credentials and enumerates your apps. Then it puts links to your apps in a drop-down list, and you can drag and drop icons for your apps to the toolbar. This is kind of like "PN Agent meets a browser toolbar."

The toolbar also has a button for "My PC," which links to gotomypc.com. Hopefully the final version will let you enter your credentials to directly connect to your desktop PC from the road.

Since I’m a recent Mac convert (with Firefox of course), you’ll be happy to know that this toolbar works great from the Mac too. (Okay, maybe that sentence should read "I’ll be happy to know that…") It even holds my user credentials in the Mac OSX keychain. Sweet!

Citrix has setup a support forum on citrix.com for issues around this package.

Even though this is just a prototype, Citrix did it right and made it updateable via Firefox’s "find updates" functionality for extensions. Give it a shot and share your opinions with the community.

Comments

Guest wrote FireFox Extensions
on Wed, Jul 12 2006 3:55 AM Link To This Comment
Hi,

This is a great extension but it doesn't work with FireFox 2 (which is in the latter stages of beta) which is a pity. Hopefully that gets sorted out when FireFox 2 comes out a full release.

Cheers.

Guest wrote Support form link
on Wed, Jul 12 2006 7:11 AM Link To This Comment
Hi Brian

Are sure that the link to the forum is correct, because I can;t find it. :(

If I click the link, I am redirected to : http://support.citrix.com/index.jsp

If I click Support Forum, nothing regarding this cool Firefox Extersion.

Thanks,
Marck
Ryan Campbell wrote RE: Support form link
on Wed, Jul 12 2006 11:10 AM Link To This Comment
I see the same issue as well.  Extension looks great and the idea is spectacular, however I get an error when I try to connect to an app (ica file is empty).
Rudy Bauer wrote Firefox Sidebar
on Wed, Jul 12 2006 4:28 PM Link To This Comment
You can also add this as a side bar in Firefox which is pretty slick.
It's nice to see that Citrix is not afraid to release cool addons like this.
Brian Madden wrote RE: FireFox Extensions
on Wed, Jul 12 2006 4:45 PM Link To This Comment
True but even the Google toolbar doesn't work in Firefox 2, so I wouldn't worry about this for now.

Brian
Brian Madden wrote RE: Support form link
on Wed, Jul 12 2006 5:54 PM Link To This Comment
That link and forum number (113) is definitely correct. It looks like the disabled access to it for now. Maybe it will be back when this thing is released?

Brian
Megan Graye wrote RE: Support form link
on Wed, Jul 12 2006 8:06 PM Link To This Comment
ORIGINAL: Brian Madden

Brian

In the absence of an official support forum at Citrix, perhaps we can contribute our observations at a forum here?

My observation is that the automated rdf generation (found in your firefox profile beneath the directory - Citrix\cache) is malformed if your published application title includes the ampersand (&) character...  I hand edited my farm's rdf to reflect all ampersands as the word - and.  This change fixed my problems with enumerating farm published applications.  The errror was manifested as a modal dialog box with the following verbage: 0x8000ffff ... nsIRDFService.GetDataSourceBlocking...
Guest wrote Keys
on Thu, Jul 13 2006 9:42 AM Link To This Comment
(Control - Apple Key - Spacebar - 4) will give you a clean shot of your current window. ;)
Guest wrote RE: FireFox Extensions
on Thu, Jul 13 2006 12:17 PM Link To This Comment
It's back.  Link is working.
Brian Madden wrote RE: Support forum link is now up!
on Thu, Jul 13 2006 1:12 PM Link To This Comment
I just got word from Citrix that the Firefox extension support forum is now online. The link in the article is the way to go.

Brian
Guest wrote PN Agent?
on Sat, Jul 15 2006 5:39 AM Link To This Comment
This sounds exactly like PN Agent.  If you have a web browser just go to an NFuse page!  This sounds like a big waste of time to me.
Guest wrote RE: PN Agent?
on Mon, Jul 17 2006 4:44 PM Link To This Comment
agreed.  i can put icons in my quick launch bar just as easily.  I'm not against anything new but this doesn't thrill me
Guest wrote RE: PN Agent?
on Thu, Jul 20 2006 2:03 AM Link To This Comment
Ya, and PN Agent has desktop integration as well as a sys tray icon which can display all the applications.  PN Agnet would also be able to be used on systems with or without fire fox, so seems silly to take a subset of a current client, then put it into an application not everyone has "just because you can" pretty much.  Why would you want it in the browser anyway?  What's next, a notepad plugin?
Guest wrote PNAgent
on Fri, Jul 28 2006 3:55 PM Link To This Comment
Not sure I understand your perspective - since when did having another way of solving a problem make the world any worse off. Maybe it doesn't suit you, but it could be just the thing I needed.

(To bad it isn't - my argument would have been watertight, but I'm sure I'm standing up for someone - )

MCD
Guest wrote RE: PN Agent?
on Wed, Sep 13 2006 3:51 AM Link To This Comment
PNAgent is Win32 only. This works on Linux and MacOS (at least) using the Java ICA client...
Guest wrote Re: PNAgent
on Sun, Feb 10 2008 4:19 AM Link To This Comment

The thing I would like to see more in firefox is that reconnect button and to lose the error message that you don't have the citrix client installed, while you have it already.

I have both PC and Mac, and true that until today, the wonderful PNAgent is only working on PC.

Perhaps  those brilliant engineer at Citrix would start to look at the tiny minority of Mac users to support.

MAW